Author Topic: Best source for new suspension springs???  (Read 3143 times)

ShanMan

Best source for new suspension springs???
« on: March 24, 2003, 02:48:56 PM »
I spoke with the previous owner of my bike today. He informed me that the suspension was done about a year ago by a local tuner shop (here in SoCal). I had told him of my plans to get the suspension set up for my weight. he told me that the valving was good as-is, and that all I needed was new springs front and back. Sounds good to me.

I went to the Race Tech website and crunched the numbers. As it turns out, spring rates of 4.7 kg/mm for the forks and 5.5 kg/mm on the shock is just about right. So now, the question is where to get springs that have a good balance of accuracy and a fair price. Can I get good springs over the counter at my local shop? maybe an internet mail order house? Perhaps I should go back to the shop that did this bike originally. Any suggestions based on experience are greatly appreciated.  :?

Zombie

~boing~
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2003, 11:21:09 AM »
Im going to need springs too, since the bike was set up for the mysterious "average rider" that weighs under 160 lbs. Let me know where you get yours and how much they cost! There isnt any shop around here that I know of (southeastern PA) that does susp work, and I need to know the reccomended springs for a fast 200-pounder. Thanks!

-Z

mikesmith

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2003, 08:36:52 PM »
I bought my spings(Race Tech) from MotoSport 1 888 676-8853 with fast friendly service.I think fronts were $80.00 and rears are $90.00.

Rick

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2003, 07:40:16 AM »
I, too, have purchased a number of springs from RaceTech, all without a hitch.

Rick

ShanMan

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2003, 07:47:24 AM »
Yup, Rece Tech...that's what I wound up doing as well. I purchased a .48 kg/mm spring rated set for the forks, and a 5.6 kg/mm spring for the shock. Total price including shipping was $210.