Author Topic: where to get a nonplated sleve  (Read 2111 times)

dangerranger22

where to get a nonplated sleve
« on: April 04, 2005, 05:45:22 PM »
i have an older modle kx 500 and i don't have that much money right now and just want my beast going agin even if it is not as strong please help where or how can i get a steel sleve or something that does not need to be replated id don't know if i need to get an older modle sleve or one form another bike such as may be a cr 500 i dont know what to do so
help out the new guy

thanks a milllion steve

Offline Timbowe

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2005, 06:04:31 PM »
Putting a sleeve in is gonna cost you more than getting your original plated. The factorys spend zillions of $$$ working out what is the best for their bikes. Check out Eric Gorrs prices for plating or maxpower engines. Heaps cheaper in the long run. And you wont have a rooted barrell after its bored and sleeved. 2 bobs worth from timbowe. Check the plating thread down the collumn a bit. :D
KX500
Weapon in the hands of the Master

mikesmith

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2005, 08:57:06 PM »
Kustom Kraft will sleeve,but as mentioned above go with the plating.

Offline John

• http://www.hallbergs.net
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2005, 10:13:24 PM »
Plating is really not that expensive. Shop around a bit and you'll see that you can get a re-plating for less than what a new piston would cost you! Really, the plating will be much cheaper than trying to make a sleve fit with all the alignement of ports and everything.  You will also end up with a really non-supported set-up (poor second hand value) and you will have to throw money at it everytime it breakes down.

Don't even consider sleves.

//John

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2005, 05:17:20 PM »
I had my motor built by Eric Gorr and he had it plated from US Chrome, it costed a $175 extra (which was included in the total bill) to have it plated. It lasted me till now (I'm an idiot, read Seized), but Eric does good work and stands behind it, even though it has been two years since I had it built, he will replate it again for $100 total.