Author Topic: replacement throttle  (Read 3174 times)

Offline dirk_411

replacement throttle
« on: October 05, 2014, 02:33:21 PM »
I want to replace my throttle. I also need a new throttle cable. I searched the forum and consensus seems that OEM cables are preferred.   But what throttle is a good replacement and where is the best place to buy it? Thanks

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
Re: replacement throttle
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 08:02:29 AM »
I've got a Pro Circuit aluminum throttle tube on my 500, but I don't know if you can get them for the K5 anymore.
My 250 has a Moose aluminum tube...and it works as smooth as the PC...
and yes, as far as cables go...stick with OEM.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 08:14:28 AM »
I keep the throttle "housing" and all the inner parts OEM, just the tube gets an upgrade to alloy.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline younGun

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 01:19:45 PM »
Motion Pro cables have done a good job for me

Offline jcm3

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 07:39:38 AM »
I've got a Pro Circuit aluminum throttle tube on my 500, but I don't know if you can get them for the K5 anymore.

Have you ever used the Motion Pro unbreakable non-aluminum one?

How do you like the aluminum ones, and do they bend in a fall?

Thanks for your input.
2000 KX500 - Tom Morgan motor, RG3 suspension, EBC oversized front brake rotor - lots-o-fun

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 08:32:06 AM »

Have you ever used the Motion Pro unbreakable non-aluminum one?

How do you like the aluminum ones, and do they bend in a fall?

Thanks for your input.

when it comes to throttle assembly and clutch cables....Motion Pro is garbage, period....they make some very quality stuff, but they failed miserably in the throttle and cable department.
I have some throttle and clutch cables hanging on my wall that have less than an hour time on em...and I tried a throttle tube that said right on the package "Fits 89-04 KX500"...not even close!
The alloy tubes work great, I've never broke or bent one....it's good to take the assembly apart frequently to keep everything nice and clean....metal tube on metal handlebars really need to be kept CLEAN.

Stick with OEM cables...they are the best.