Author Topic: first k5 very well used. need some advice  (Read 13688 times)

Offline younGun

Re: first k5 very well used. need some advice
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2014, 07:44:57 AM »
These are the girls i go with   :wink: all i know about the k5 is that it has a cool head, fmf powercore, and boyesen carbon reeds that were just installed(reed stops in or out for those?) and the honda is factory other than the kick stand and bark busters........... oh and the head has had a full workover by RacersER with all new more durable materials: seats, guides, titanium valves, and some fabulous port work
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 07:57:41 AM by younGun »

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2014, 08:00:28 AM »
get a close-up of the K5 head....we can just barely see it :-D
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline younGun

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2014, 09:16:17 AM »
looks pretty good right?  :-D

Offline younGun

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2014, 04:45:54 PM »
this is the fourth or fifth ride and i swear it is faster everytime. now its moved from pretty strong and torquey to either the back wheel is spinning or the front one is coming off the ground. im guessing it mustve been sitting for a while. other than that it leaks from the overflow hoses sometimes, still wont idle long, and it still goes clickety clack. but its improving with use and also nothing has blown up yet hahaha. anybody else have their factory tank crack where the shrouds bolt to it? mine was cracked when i got it. cant afford a tank yet is there any way to patch it?(JB Weld doesnt work gas everywhere, silicone has lasted one ride but is peeling already)

Offline younGun

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2014, 03:39:56 AM »
reed stops or no reed stops?

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2014, 05:11:07 AM »
Stock reed with a stock engine I run the stops.
V-Force 2's have no stops so run them as is on high tension setting for higher top end and low tension setting for better bottom end response.
I have no idea what others are doing..
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2014, 06:23:07 AM »
V-Force 2's on high tension for top end.
I have no idea what others are doing..

high
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline younGun

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2014, 02:02:33 PM »
i have the boyesen carbon ones. they seem great they just chatter at low rpm so i was concerned. only my second 2T last one was a 85. what gearing do you guys usually run? whats on this bike is wayyyyy higher than anything I've dealt with. i don't even use 5th gear...... top end for dayyyyyz! love this bike! so much power.... yet such a nice seat?

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2014, 03:18:28 PM »
Boyesen's are good for low end power.
I would replace the pedals as they do wear out.
My gearing?
To the moon baby  :lol:
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline idaho_nate

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2014, 05:16:34 PM »

I have an XR that I put a JB Waterweld patch on and it has been leak free for a couple of years.  It's even at the bottom near the petcock and has held up ok so far.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 04:54:13 PM by idaho_nate »

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2014, 09:18:41 PM »
what gearing do you guys usually run?

14-48's been working great for me...I'm in mostly sand and dark loam.

Offline jcm3

« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2014, 06:14:26 AM »
if you can get a decent discount rate at your local Kawie dealer, you can replace everything in the motor, minus the engine cases, for about $6000...then you'll have the reliability, providing you're good with the general maintenance...this was the path I chose because I plan on keeping mine for many a year to come.

I kind of went the same route since I want to keep mine for some time.  I sent my engine off to Tom Morgan for a full rebuild, but had to since I grenaded the piston and it took out the bottom end and really screwed up the cylinder also.  I needed the full Monty.

I had him do his cylinder, head and power valve mods also, but without those, it would have been about $2600.  But, that was including cases, which added about $500 to the bill.  That was for the top end, cylinder welding and replating, bottom end, gears that needed replacing and the clutch.

I'd definitely replace that top end at the least, as if it is old and crusty, you may end up needing a full rebuild whether you want/need it or not.   :-)
2000 KX500 - Tom Morgan motor, RG3 suspension, EBC oversized front brake rotor - lots-o-fun

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2014, 06:28:00 AM »
anybody else have their factory tank crack where the shrouds bolt to it? mine was cracked when i got it. cant afford a tank yet is there any way to patch it?(JB Weld doesnt work gas everywhere, silicone has lasted one ride but is peeling already)

look and ask around your local area for anyone that does plastic welding, and places that make/build fuel tanks...other than that, there are a few used ones on e-bay.

the liquid J.B. Weld 2 part epoxy would be better than the putty style...if you were to go that route....but remember, it's still a "Band-Aid"

Offline younGun

« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2014, 03:10:57 PM »
yeah I'm pretty confident that it needs a rebuild. i rode it again tonight and the clickety clack is getting worse. its getting harder to start WILL NOT idle and sounds like a 4T until half throttle or so then it goes weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee and the wheel comes off the ground  :-D. pretty frustrated tho i just recently picked this bike up for $1100. its not even titled yet. my dad is pretty dead set on shipping the whole bike off for a rebuild though. I'm just sitting here thinking I've been thru a diesel tech trade school and ranked 1st place in Utah in a mechanics competition and 29th in the US. this cannot be that hard. wish i woulda had a manual and parts two weeks ago.......

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2014, 06:12:35 PM »
what gearing do you guys usually run?
15-42 rolling on 17s