Author Topic: K5 I might buy, what do you think?  (Read 5883 times)

Offline dirk_411

K5 I might buy, what do you think?
« on: September 12, 2014, 11:16:01 PM »
1994 K5 for sale within 2 hours of my house. Waiting for him to send more pics. He says carb needs cleaning but it runs fine. Lots of new parts he says. Asking 2000$, I offered $1400 because I'm on limited budget as of now, he says, "when you want to pick it up?".

SB will post pics for me. I'll get more hopefully soon.

Tell me what you think based on what you see

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
Re: K5 I might buy, what do you think?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 11:40:59 PM »
$1400 is a reasonable price providing it does really run ok, shifts through all the gears as it should, and it's all there, with no real major damage...i.e., cracked cases or bent frame.
lookin forward to seeing the pics.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline dirk_411

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 12:01:49 AM »
Looking forward to hearing your feedback.   Fox, answer me this. What year K5 motors will directly swap into the 1994 chassis?
Plan is get this bike cause it appears to be a decent deal. Down the road I may use this engine in my Kx500 tecate. I may find just an engine at some point, if I don't I will use this bikes engine. I would keep the chassis and put another engine in it or sell/part out bike, undetermined.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 12:26:20 AM »
Fox, answer me this. What year K5 motors will directly swap into the 1994 chassis?

I know 89-04 is a direct swap...I haven't had the chance to play with an '88 motor yet, but I'm guessing it would swap right over as well....worst case, the swing arm shaft/axle could be a different size...or the head stay might need to be modified...I'm sure someone can answer that.
One of my best friends has an '88 motor I've been thinkin about grabbing...still debating.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline dirk_411

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2014, 01:51:42 AM »
I won't use any older than 90's

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2014, 02:13:04 AM »
I won't use any older than 90's

that's fine, do as you wish....you asked, I answered.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2014, 02:55:31 AM »
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2014, 02:59:40 AM »
that's pretty clean...see if you can get a VIN#....it has blue forks, only the '91, '92, '93 had the blues.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2014, 03:12:08 AM »
Yep... older then he thought?
I smell a further price reduction  :-D
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2014, 03:13:26 AM »
Yep... older then he thought?
I smell a further price reduction  :-D

LOL....F'n right!!

Offline dirk_411

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2014, 04:32:13 AM »
You guys are great. I'll get the vin#

Offline dirk_411

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2014, 04:47:10 AM »
Actually is there data here to identify the years by vin number?   I'd prefer to seem not to knowledgeable.   I'd like to go there knowing that information

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2014, 04:50:00 AM »
if you can get the VIN...the info is on here to to figure out what year it is...it's the 10th digit that gives the year.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2014, 04:51:24 AM »

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2014, 01:51:44 AM »
87-04 engines will fit with head stay fabricated for the 87-88 engine. 89-04 all bolt in with no mods.

Forks could have been changed. Why anyone would go backwards on suspension is beyond me but I have seen it done.

Get an engine serial number while you're at it. Then you'll know if the engine matches the frame year too.

It's a nice looking bike. If it runs, rides, and stops it's worth every bit of $1400
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.