Author Topic: Cleaning the drive train  (Read 5408 times)

Offline gwcrim

• http://profiles.yahoo.com/gwcrim
Cleaning the drive train
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2005, 02:08:43 AM »
I just got a new Primary Drive sprocket and X-ring set up from Rocky Mtn.  Haven't got it on yet though.  But I'm not anal about chains either.  Might just use motor oil like in the old days.  Seemed to work OK then.
~Crim~
You raise the blade
You make the change
You rearrange me 'til I'm sane

Offline alan

• Administrator
Cleaning the drive train
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2005, 04:37:35 AM »
Ok guys, this is my pitch for O-Ring chains!

I sell and service exercise equipment and lots of the high end health club stuff uses # 40 chain and of course bikes, steppers etc. What I see happening over the life of the equipment is that, the chain that is well maintained and lubed often needs very little adjustment. Those that are let go for long periods of time need frequent adjustment and they eat the sprockets up! So I conclude that the chain that is let go wears and stretches and eats the sprockets up!

Now when it comes to motorcycle chains I prefer O - Ring chain because unlike regular chain all you really have to do is keep it clean! You do not have to use lubes that attract dirt and sand that wear out the chain. I am lucky because I almost never ride in anything but sand and all I have to do is blow of my bike with an air hose. When I do wash it I spray the chain off with WD-40 to displace moisture.

When I first got my 01 KX5 I was adjusting the chain almost every time I rode it! I replaced it with a O - Ring chain  adjusted it once after the first ride and haven't adjusted it since!

Alan

PS I love fact that the exercise equipment manufactures are to cheap to use o - ring chains, It would really cut into my repair Business! :lol:
Sand - Dirt - Dunes = Fun
       04- 700V - 01- KX500
        08 TeryX 2012 KX450F

Offline demographic

Cleaning the drive train
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2005, 07:59:31 AM »
One of the recommended fluids for cleaning O-ring chains it paraffin.

Offline alan

• Administrator
Cleaning the drive train
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2005, 09:30:29 AM »
Quote from: demographic
One of the recommended fluids for cleaning O-ring chains it paraffin.

Are you refering to chain wax?
Sand - Dirt - Dunes = Fun
       04- 700V - 01- KX500
        08 TeryX 2012 KX450F