Author Topic: first k5 very well used. need some advice  (Read 13692 times)

Offline jcm3

Re: first k5 very well used. need some advice
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2014, 05:05:01 AM »
yeah I'm pretty confident that it needs a rebuild. i rode it again tonight and the clickety clack is getting worse. its getting harder to start WILL NOT idle and sounds like a 4T until half throttle or so then it goes weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee and the wheel comes off the ground  :-D. pretty frustrated tho i just recently picked this bike up for $1100. its not even titled yet. my dad is pretty dead set on shipping the whole bike off for a rebuild though. I'm just sitting here thinking I've been thru a diesel tech trade school and ranked 1st place in Utah in a mechanics competition and 29th in the US. this cannot be that hard. wish i woulda had a manual and parts two weeks ago.......

You could definitely do it yourself, there are plenty of manuals, instructions and YouTube vids out there to help you.  I'm a handy guy, and while I think I coudl have done it myself, there were a few things on my recent rebuild that I know I would have not caught on my own.  One was the tolerance of some of the bearings in the bottom end, which is the main reason I needed new cases.  The cracks from when I blew my motor 'could' have been welded and fixed, but the fact that the bearings wouldn't press-fit in tight enough is something I probably would have missed.

Also, six of my gears had dogs that were wearing and would have likely resulted in my bike popping out of gear soon.

You can do it yourself, and I've always done all of my own work, except when I had a YZ125 that needed a bottom end rebuild way back in high school.  But, not knowing the condition of the bike at all would be my main concern.

Now that it has been completely redone by Tom Morgan, it may not ever need another bottom end rebuild with how rarely I ride it.  So, I'll be doing all of the maintenance from here on out on my own again.
2000 KX500 - Tom Morgan motor, RG3 suspension, EBC oversized front brake rotor - lots-o-fun

Offline younGun

« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2014, 04:56:51 PM »
well the bike went off today headed for an internal makeover. it should be back in 2 or 3 weeks so ill let you know when i get her back and give details. thanks fellas for the tips and advice

Offline younGun

« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2014, 08:51:02 AM »
bike got "fixed" and is waiting in a trailer. we are dragging it to the dumont dunes in california next week. hopefully it runs great. all they did was replace the reed cage and rebuild the carb. i guess the compression was good so they didn't touch the motor. and the clutch still drags. but it idles now and it scared the mechanics when they test rode it  :-D anyways does anybody on here live near dumont?

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2014, 03:38:13 PM »
Try Amsoil Synthetic for sticky clutch
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.