Author Topic: How much grease in needle bearings?  (Read 2847 times)

Offline jcm3

How much grease in needle bearings?
« on: July 12, 2014, 04:00:01 AM »
Been searching all morning on this, but not getting good results.

I am replacing all of my bearings on my bike, except the steering stem bearings.  I'm using Pivot Works bearings.

For the needle bearings, I'm pulling the bearings out, greasing inside of the bearing cups, and then putting a little bit of grease on the needles as I put them back in.  Then I smear a little bit after all of the needles are back in, then put in the sleeve.  That seems to be what everyone does.

The reason I am asking is because when everything is back together, I can't seem to twist the sleeve at all with my finger, even when I dry it out.  It seems like really the only thing that will move is the bolt that goes through the collar, which seems odd.

How much grease are you guys using when you put your needle bearings together?  Am I stressing about the small stuff?   :-D
2000 KX500 - Tom Morgan motor, RG3 suspension, EBC oversized front brake rotor - lots-o-fun

Offline kxpegger

Re: How much grease in needle bearings?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 05:10:39 AM »
Been searching all morning on this, but not getting good results.

I am replacing all of my bearings on my bike, except the steering stem bearings.  I'm using Pivot Works bearings.

For the needle bearings, I'm pulling the bearings out, greasing inside of the bearing cups, and then putting a little bit of grease on the needles as I put them back in.  Then I smear a little bit after all of the needles are back in, then put in the sleeve.  That seems to be what everyone does.

The reason I am asking is because when everything is back together, I can't seem to twist the sleeve at all with my finger, even when I dry it out.  It seems like really the only thing that will move is the bolt that goes through the collar, which seems odd.

How much grease are you guys using when you put your needle bearings together?  Am I stressing about the small stuff?   :-D

Just me personally but when I think it matters I prefer OEM. When you bolt everything back up the sleeve will be forced stationary and the bearings will be forced to move around the sleeve... That's if they are in spec!
North Las Vegas

"05" RMZ450, "08" KX500AF "11" KTM 450SX-F "12" KTM 250SX "15" KTM450SX-F

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 07:14:24 AM »
The reason I am asking is because when everything is back together, I can't seem to twist the sleeve at all with my finger, even when I dry it out.  It seems like really the only thing that will move is the bolt that goes through the collar, which seems odd.

How much grease are you guys using when you put your needle bearings together?  Am I stressing about the small stuff?   :-D

Your greasing procedure seems adequate.
Are you stressing about the small stuff?
Not necessarily.
It's ok for the insert to feel snug but not tight.
I have seen cases where after new bearings were installed the insert would not spin by hand.
In most cases I found that the area that holds the bearing was not clean enough before the bearing was pressed in.
Just the slighted amount of foreign matter will cause the bearings to be too tight.
So I use some Scotchbrite blue pads to clean it up before I press in new bearings.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 09:49:21 AM by sandblaster »
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline alward25

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 08:08:59 AM »
On the lower steering stem bearing I use a grease needle and insert it between the needle cage, roller, and inner race and pump until you have sqeeze out.  Repeat between all rollers.  All new sealed bearings I also pop the bearing seal off and pack it with waterproof grease and put the seal back on.  Don't be too shocked at the lack of grease the bearing will have, they all are like that.  Pack em all and wipe off the excess.
"Let there be light"

Offline jcm3

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 07:54:00 AM »
Just me personally but when I think it matters I prefer OEM. When you bolt everything back up the sleeve will be forced stationary and the bearings will be forced to move around the sleeve... That's if they are in spec!

Doh!  That's what I wasn't thinking about.  Thanks for the explanation.   :-)
2000 KX500 - Tom Morgan motor, RG3 suspension, EBC oversized front brake rotor - lots-o-fun