Author Topic: Anyone ever use the Motion Pro Deluxe Suspension Bearing Service Tool?  (Read 3612 times)

Offline jcm3

A buddy from work let me borrow his, as my bike is down right now getting the engine rebuilt by Tom Morgan.  I'm going to do a bunch of other maintenance stuff while it is down, like:
- replace the suspension bearings
- replace the wheel bearings
- replace the chain and sprockets
- install an EBC oversized front rotor kit and stainless steel brake line
- change the shock and fork oil

After that work, the top and bottom end rebuilds and the new clutch, the bike will be pretty fresh!  I may have Tom do his head and power valve work also, which I've heard actually makes it a bit easier to ride with the additinal torque and woder torque curve.  Not that I need more power on a KX500...

I used the tool yesterday, and I'll have to say it is pretty sweet!  I know you can also do it with a vice and sockets, but the kit has everythign you need.  I didn't have to use any heat or freeze anthing, and the bearings came right out and the new ones went right in.  The kit is pretty useful.

It is not cheap at around $105, but would also be one of those lifetime tools that will likely never wear out and could be used over and over again. 

I may pick one up myself.
2000 KX500 - Tom Morgan motor, RG3 suspension, EBC oversized front brake rotor - lots-o-fun

Offline jcm3

Here's a picture of it, btw.

2000 KX500 - Tom Morgan motor, RG3 suspension, EBC oversized front brake rotor - lots-o-fun

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
I've never used one but I may pick one up some day...
I'd like to see pics of you using it if you have them..
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline jcm3

I didn't take any, but here are a few web pics I could find.  It took me a few minutes to figure out which specific pieces to use, especially when I was using the part that pulls the bearings out rather than pushing them out or in.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
one thing about motion pro, is they do make good tools...a little pricey, but good.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline jcm3

one thing about motion pro, is they do make good tools...a little pricey, but good.

Yeah, not cheap.  I'd be tempted to buy one, but don't see myself doing the job again any time soon.  With how rarely I ride, I'd plan to regrease maybe every year or so but probably not replace any bearings for 5 years or more.  Maybe I'll buy one then.  lol

I'm pretty sure the bearings were stock.  When I pulled them out and twisted the aluminum sleeve, they were pretty crusty and definitely made a grinding sound.  But, I'd hope that cleaning and regreasing the new ones every year or so would help them last a little while.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

a little ingenuity goes a long ways...if you decide not to buy one. :wink:
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline jcm3

Yeah, I had my propane torch, sockets and vice at the  :-Dready.   

Offline Foxx4Beaver

Yeah, I had my propane torch, sockets and vice at the  :-Dready.   

yup...been there before, and it is an effective way.