Author Topic: Reducing Power - I'm a wuss!!!  (Read 5824 times)

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
Reducing Power - I'm a wuss!!!
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2005, 05:46:01 PM »
The only beef I had with the KDX was the hardass seat. Wow, what an ache after a days ride, but I had two KDX-200's ('87 and '95) and they BOTH run to this day 10 years later. (sold them to friends who still ride BOTH) Awesome bike, just, like I said, a serious hard seat. :-/

TomL

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2005, 12:13:38 PM »
Hard seat on a kdx???!!!  Most people call them a couch!!!  Mine is softer than any bike I've ever sat on.

Tim:  It's a 2001 k5.  Almost like new.  I really take good care of my babies!!!  The 13/52 gearing does seem to create the excessive power.  I just went that low to slow down 1st gear so I don't have to clutch so much in the slow stuff.  I guess that's the problem with trying to make an MX bike into a woods bike.  That 1st gear is always really tall!!!  Maybe I'll try 14/52.  That should mellow the throttle response a bit.  I remember the response was pretty friendly with 14/47 sprockets and the flywheel weight.  It's just that d**n tall 1st gear!!!  Maybe I should just learn to ride a little faster!!!  Then I wouldn't need a slow 1st gear!!!!

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2005, 12:25:03 PM »
Toml,

With 14/52 you may have a hard time keeping the front wheel on the ground. The larger the rear spocket the higher it will rev. It will pull harder and shorter making you use all the gears 1-5th. Have you tried 14/45 :?:
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

TomL

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2005, 02:52:29 PM »
Thanks Hughes!  I am going to try some higher gearing.  I might also try retarding the timing a bit to smooth it a bit.

Offline doordie

• Global Moderator
  • Do or Die.....
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2005, 04:14:54 PM »
TomL,

Try thicker headgasket,retard timing and buy if you can a smaller carb.
A Vforce make it more rideable too with a moosespacer.
Or cheapiest, a boysen dual reeds. :wink: .

//doordie
Iceroad champion 2006,still 2007,even 2008 without a single race!

TomL

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2005, 02:21:28 PM »
Thanks again!!!  I didn't think of a thicker head gasket.  Come to think of it... I really liked the smooth response of the stock reeds.  Too bad I pitched them when I put on the Boyeson power reeds. :(   I only changed reeds to try to get it to idle better.  It didn't work anyway.  Anyway, you guys gave me lots of good ideas!!!  I'm sure I can get it to what I like now!!!