Author Topic: Catastropic Top End Damage - Opinions Appreciated  (Read 13069 times)

Offline jcm3

Catastropic Top End Damage - Opinions Appreciated
« on: June 23, 2014, 07:32:02 AM »
So, I went out for a weekend riding trip with a good buddy, and we were both riding KX500's that we recently bought.  I found a 2000 KX500 in great condition, and spent the few weeks prior to the trip fixing little stuff that needed it.  I did the typical maintenance stuff: flushed the brake fluid and coolant, changed the oil, greased all of the bearings except the steering stem bearings, put a new rear tire on it. safety wired some things, lubed the clutch cable, cleaned the air filter, checked spokes, etc.  i also checked the compression, and it was a bit low, but in the middle of the range at about 130psi.  I planned on replacing the top end after that trip, as I just didn't have time before.  What is one more ride on a 15 year old, clean bike?

We did some light trail riding on Friday, and Saturday we hit up the Hollister GP track for a few motos on an open public track day.  On my third session (they were about 10 minute sessions, as it's the first time I had ridden in about two years), it made sounds that you don't ever want to hear and locked up tight.  I assumed I seized it until I pulled the pipe.

When I pulled the pipe, I was greeted with nothing in sight.  No piston, connecting rod, etc.  Big ouch.  The bottom of the piston grenaded, and the top half with the rings is still in place up top.  It hit the spark plug and put a few mild knicks in the head, but nothing big.  I'm more worried about the cylinder and the bottom end.  It didn't seize, as I could push the piston down with my finger.

I do see some damage to the cylinder, but won't know for sure until I pull it apart.  I'm hoping it is repairable, and also hoping the cases are not damaged by the shrapnel until it locked up tight.  I know that I'll definitely need:
- top end rebuild
- bottom end rebuild
- cylinder repair and re-plate

I was thinking about sending the entire motor off to Pinsonnaultracing for their $1450 total rebuild, knowing that it will cost extra to have the cylinder repaired.  Has anyone dealt with them, and what kind of work do they do?  Their repair includes just about everything except transmission work - http://pinsonnaultracing.com/KX500CompleteRebuild.aspx

Should I just bring the bottom end somewhere to have it rebuilt, have the cylinder repaired, and put it back together myself?

What do typical cylinder repair cost, and would it make more sense to just buy a new jug?

I don't know what I don't know here, but am very mechanically inclined, and have rebuilt the top end on about 5-8 different two strokes and my old YZ426 four stroke.  So, I'm not intimidated by the work.

Thanks for anyone's opinion and input.  I have a feeling that some of the input will prompt more questions.   :-D
2000 KX500 - Tom Morgan motor, RG3 suspension, EBC oversized front brake rotor - lots-o-fun

Offline alward25

Re: Catastropic Top End Damage - Opinions Appreciated
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 08:21:54 AM »
Sending it to Todd to have it gone through will be a sure bet everything will be done right and ready to drop in.  Great guy to deal with.  You would not be saving much by doing it yourself.
"Let there be light"

Offline jcm3

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 08:46:31 AM »
Sending it to Todd to have it gone through will be a sure bet everything will be done right and ready to drop in.  Great guy to deal with.  You would not be saving much by doing it yourself.

Great to hear, thanks. 

I agree about not saving much doing it myself or piecemeal.  I just called my dealer to find out how much they'd charge to do just a bottom end rebuild, and they said $1400-1500 just for that.  Easy decision.

I'm just hoping that I don't run into too much extra cost.  Cases are $500-ish, as is a new jug.  We'll see, I guess!
2000 KX500 - Tom Morgan motor, RG3 suspension, EBC oversized front brake rotor - lots-o-fun

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 09:53:09 AM »
I was thinking about sending the entire motor off to Pinsonnaultracing for their $1450 total rebuild, knowing that it will cost extra to have the cylinder repaired.  Has anyone dealt with them, and what kind of work do they do?  Their repair includes just about everything except transmission work - http://pinsonnaultracing.com/KX500CompleteRebuild.aspx

my motor is partially Pinsonnault-ed...and I can say I'm MORE than happy with the end results as far as performance is concerned.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline jcm3

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 10:19:23 AM »

my motor is partially Pinsonnault-ed...and I can say I'm MORE than happy with the end results as far as performance is concerned.

Awesome, it's great to hear good reviews.  I hoped I would.  I need to get my butt to work on pulling the engine out and getting it to him.  The downside will be the cost, the upside will be that it's fresh from top to bottom.

Motorrad

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2014, 11:44:40 AM »
All the work he has done for me is 115%.  He has my full recommendation

Offline SHLEPY

• Big Member
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2014, 11:46:47 AM »
 Well,except for your self Mr M  :-D

Offline Brute

• 787 ZA005 GE
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2014, 03:37:43 PM »
They give you a rough time frame if it is not too hosed up?
Things Are More Like They Are Today Then They Have Ever Been Before...

Offline jcm3

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2014, 04:08:17 PM »
They give you a rough time frame if it is not too hosed up?

Yeah, he's not quick.   :-)  He said 4-6 weeks, but also said he'd be going on vacation in July, so to add about two weeks.  I'll likely be down about two months, but right now I'm not riding more than about once per month so it won't be too big a deal.

The full rebuild price is $1450, and that includes the following (from their website):  Engine Dis-assembly, Inspect, Strip Cylinder and Nikasil Re-Plate,  Power Valve Dis-assembly, Clean, Reassemble, Head Resurface, Piston Kit, Top End Bearing, Connecting Rod Kit, Crankshaft Rebuild, Main Bearings, Complete Engine Seal Kit, Complete Engine Gasket Kit, Complete Clutch Kit, Spark Plug, Engine Reassembly, and Return Shipping.

The x-factors for me are the cylinder and the cases.  I know there is damage to the cylinder, as I can see some scoring by looking up the exhaust port.  I don't know how much yet, it could be light and be repaired, or it could be pretty major and require a new jug.  I won't know until I take the cylinder off, which I plan to do just to check it out.  Also, the shrapnel could have caused damage that will require new cases.  Either of those is around $500, so it could even be $1000 higher if I need both.  I'm hoping I don't!  That would seriously suck.  I'm hoping the engine can be welded up and repaired that way.  We'll see.

They also inspect the tranny and gears, and if anything needs replacing they can do that while they're in there.  The upside is that the top end, bottom end and clutch will be new.  The transmission will also have been gone over, so will be in good shape.  I'm going to put on an extra hour meter I have an laying around.  I'll feel better knowing the condition, age, and will be able to document the maintenance.  (rationalizing to make myself feel better)

Motorrad

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2014, 04:14:54 PM »
It's amazing the damage that can be saved with welding on jugs. 
I had a jug off one of destry abbots bikes that broke a rod at wot 4th gear.     It was ugly.    And was saved

Cases are same way

Offline Brute

• 787 ZA005 GE
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2014, 06:42:55 PM »
Did the rebuild price get you a balanced crankshaft?
Things Are More Like They Are Today Then They Have Ever Been Before...

Offline jcm3

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2014, 03:07:00 AM »
It's amazing the damage that can be saved with welding on jugs. 
I had a jug off one of destry abbots bikes that broke a rod at wot 4th gear.     It was ugly.    And was saved

Cases are same way

Great, I'm hoping mine can be saved.  I can't imagine it was too bad, certainly not as bas as one of Destry Abbott's bikes.  lol  I was on an mx track, so not going too fast.  Man, I never want to hear a bike make that sound again.  It was ugly.

Did the rebuild price get you a balanced crankshaft?

Not too sure what the crankshaft specs are.  I imagine that they are stock--spec, but you can shoot him an e-mail and he'll likely get back to you quickly with an answer.

Offline ToomanyKaws

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2014, 11:18:43 AM »
Wish I had known about sending my engine to this guy.    Place I sent it to has had mine for three years.  Trying to be patient.   I think my patience has run out.

Offline reklessj

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2014, 12:33:21 PM »
Wish I had known about sending my engine to this guy.    Place I sent it to has had mine for three years.  Trying to be patient.   I think my patience has run out.
3yrs what? I Don't see how it could even take 3 months!! That is ridiculous, someone probably out riding with your motor as we speak. I would get on that asap
My rides: 1994 KX500, 1988 T4, 1998, ZXI 1100 JETSKI, 2003 MOUNTAIN CAT 900
WIFES (Baby Fiver) rides: 2004 KTM 105SX,1992 LT250R, 1995 ZXI 900 JETSKI,  2011 RMK 600
SONS ride: 1995 YZ125,2002 RM 250
other rides: 2007 RMZ450 RC Ediition, 2003 RMK700

Motorrad

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2014, 01:20:08 PM »

I'd be knocking heads. Especially if the guy has the initials. S.R. and lives in Joplin