Author Topic: Catastropic Top End Damage - Opinions Appreciated  (Read 13070 times)

Offline alward25

Re: Catastropic Top End Damage - Opinions Appreciated
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2014, 02:32:23 PM »
on the cylinder, as long as they do not have to weld any cracks, the replate job costs the same scoring or not.  If your are going to send your head to Larry head could probably fix any other hiccups it has.  Cylinder welding usually costs and extra $40 or $50.
"Let there be light"

Offline DoldGuy

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2014, 03:12:01 PM »
Wish I had known about sending my engine to this guy.    Place I sent it to has had mine for three years.  Trying to be patient.   I think my patience has run out.

I have been waiting for over 4 years..... :-(

But at least I know my cylinder has been put to good use... :-D

DoldGuy
Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!

Offline ToomanyKaws

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2014, 04:04:36 PM »
Its not Stewart.    This guy has my complete K5 motor that had a new Hinson Basket in it.   Was to rebuild it.    I paid more than enough for parts and labor.   Been in contact with him so its possibly he will make good on what he was to do.   My wife did see me looking online at plane tickets and said where in the hell are you going?    In the car world have seen similaro scenarios play out.  Where "shops" or individuals doing the work thought nothing would come of it when they short changed the customer.   Also seen the customer come out on the end and the shop wish they had done the right thing in the first place.   :-D  Time will tell on this but the time part is coming to an end.

Offline jcm3

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2014, 02:55:46 AM »
on the cylinder, as long as they do not have to weld any cracks, the replate job costs the same scoring or not.  If your are going to send your head to Larry head could probably fix any other hiccups it has.  Cylinder welding usually costs and extra $40 or $50.

Good to know, thanks.

I was initially put back a bit by the cost (obviously), so I called my local Kawi dealer to find out how much they'd charge for a bottom end rebuild just for kicks.  They said probably $1400-1500, just for that.

It makes the $1450 total rebuild price look pretty sweet.
2000 KX500 - Tom Morgan motor, RG3 suspension, EBC oversized front brake rotor - lots-o-fun

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2014, 04:29:08 AM »
Most the shops in our area want about 2500 for a stock rebuild (Top and bottom) if you hand them the engine.
And most of the shops in our area know very little about building a K5 engine  :wink:
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 04:39:53 AM by sandblaster »
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline reklessj

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2014, 05:13:13 AM »
I agree with sandblaster, couldn't find any shop locally I could trust with mine. If I would  have known all the guys on here when I got mine rebuilt I could have saved even more!! There are aa lot of guys on here who know theses motors better than they know there wives someone will point ya in the right direction. I was very happy with who I sent mine to but it wasn't a member. Paid about 1800 that's with mods and cylinder welding and replating
My rides: 1994 KX500, 1988 T4, 1998, ZXI 1100 JETSKI, 2003 MOUNTAIN CAT 900
WIFES (Baby Fiver) rides: 2004 KTM 105SX,1992 LT250R, 1995 ZXI 900 JETSKI,  2011 RMK 600
SONS ride: 1995 YZ125,2002 RM 250
other rides: 2007 RMZ450 RC Ediition, 2003 RMK700

Offline jcm3

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2014, 05:33:00 AM »
There are aa lot of guys on here who know theses motors better than they know there wives someone will point ya in the right direction.

What?  That's really sad.  My wife, uh, shoot, what's her name, uh, hmmmmmmmmm...

I'll get back to you in a minute on that.   :-D
2000 KX500 - Tom Morgan motor, RG3 suspension, EBC oversized front brake rotor - lots-o-fun

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2014, 07:18:31 AM »
When I walk in the door and hear white noise... I know I'm still married  :-D
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline jcm3

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2014, 08:37:24 AM »

Can't live with 'em, can't shoot 'em.  lol

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2014, 08:45:47 AM »

no, that's when you pull out the ole "batter ram"...bend em over...and bust in their "backdoor" full force :-D :evil:
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline jcm3

« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2014, 10:57:13 AM »

no, that's when you pull out the ole "batter ram"...bend em over...and bust in their "backdoor" full force :-D :evil:

Now you're going to get me into trouble.  lol

Offline kkvslayer

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2014, 10:09:52 PM »
Dude do the work yourself and save some coin,I just last week grenaded my piston on my 86 rippin throgh a mud hole,Im not exaggerating when I say grenaded. The top portion from just below the rings was still in the cylinder,the rest was resting on top of my crank, the piston pin was the only thing left attached to the rod, I yanked the engine,split the cases,cleaned everything,installed a new slug,my cylinder had a few dings on the edges that were easily fixed and shes runnin as good as ever,I can't f**kin beleive the compression that comes with a new slug,makes every 500 banger I have ever ridden seem worn out,won't be firing her up with my DC's anymore for sure,anyways if you got any brains at all don't send your s**t to someone when you could do the same work yourself and save the labour coin for other bits your bike may need

Offline Brute

• 787 ZA005 GE
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2014, 02:42:17 AM »
Ahhh, youth. I presume anyway.  :lol:  I am paying other people to do stuff I do not want to do more and more these days. Granted it takes it out of my hands and I have to trust the work they do but I have decided that is ok. I will probably test my KX5 for leakage before I take it on the road and if it leaks it will most likely go out to be rebuilt even if it is just the seals that are bad. We shall see once it is on the bench. If it leaks that is.
I used to enjoy building as much or more then riding/driving/flying/whatever. It looks more like 'work' these days. Have cut back on a lot of it in the last few years.  :-P
That said, I broke out the TIG and did one of the stainless steel repair projects on my bench. That was fun! Dang I like my big 'ole nasty Miller 320 ABP TIG welder! What a sweet arc!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 02:50:41 AM by Brute »
Things Are More Like They Are Today Then They Have Ever Been Before...

Offline jcm3

« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2014, 06:18:28 AM »
Ahhh, youth. I presume anyway.  :lol:  I am paying other people to do stuff I do not want to do more and more these days. Granted it takes it out of my hands and I have to trust the work they do but I have decided that is ok.

Exactly.  I'm getting to that point also.  If I was rebuilding a top end (which I've done at least 10 times in my life, to two strokes and four strokes), I'd definitely do it myself.  But when it comes to something this dramatic (sounds like the same type of damage that kkvslayer say), then I don't want to mess with it.  I have three kids, and let's just say that between them, work on the house, etc., time is limited. 

One of the main reasons I don't want to do this one myself is because I don't know if there was any damage to the cases, which although unlikely, is possible.  I don't know if I'd be able to tell by just looking at it if there was the kind of damage due to the cases that would require new ones, and I'd have to buy tools to do the job also.  I calculated it out, and don't know how much I'd save.  It would be something, but wouldn't cut the job in half. 

At this point, I'm fine sending it out to someone who has a great reputation, and who I think will do a good job.

I also look forward to how the bike feels with a new top end, it will probably be dramatically different both in starting and with the power.  I'm hoping so, anyway.