Author Topic: Handlebars for tall riders  (Read 6675 times)

Offline stock500

Handlebars for tall riders
« on: April 01, 2008, 03:07:05 AM »
I remember reading something about high rise bars but I can't find the post.  What are the tallest bars I can get.  I am 6'5'' and like to stand up but standing up with stock bars leaves me hunched orver a lot which makes it hard to hang on in a wheelie.  Any info would be great!
It's all in the wrist!  Save a tire, shift early!

Offline KXcam22

Re: Handlebars for tall riders
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 05:40:14 AM »
Stock,
  Not sure about the bars, but if you go to a type of fat bar, the adapters raise the bars about 3/4".  On my K5 I put a 3/8" stack of washers between the stock clamps and the tripple clamps - there was just enough threads on the clamp posts to do this.  It worked very well. Cam.

Offline Dutch-K5 Fan

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 06:25:21 AM »
This pdf file maybe?

Dutchie

Proud owner of a KX500AF

Offline stock500

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 02:52:31 AM »
I was looking at getting some high bend bars and a riser.  I will try shimming it up, that will be much cheaper.

Offline GDubb

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 12:33:01 PM »
I am sure that those of us that have upgraded to tapered "big" bars could go on and on about them. They are one of the best mods I have done to my Kx5 as far as over all comfort on the bike. Much less arm pump and vibration through the hands which makes long days of riding much much easier. Not to mention the strength of the bars when it comes to dumping the bike. There are posts on this subject around here. Anyways, what I am getting at is that it is very worth considering a bar upgrade if you are leaning that way. I have Magura SX bend bars which are a high bend. I'm 6'3" and they are almost tall enough on their own without spacers for me. Do yourself a favor and upgrade then you also have options for bar mounts or just basic big bar mounts with spacers.  I guarantee you will be happy you did. Money very well spent. They may seem spendy but I would venture to say that these bars have already paid for themselves judging by the way I used to go through bars on my last bike that had standard bars. I havent had to replace or even straighten these bars at all in about 3 years.

-G
Rock it 'til the wheels fall off!

"It's not what you ride... It's who you're riding for!" - www.mxrevelation.com -

Offline stock500

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 03:23:14 AM »
So the fat bars help reduce viberation?  That would be a nice perk!  I was looking at some standard 7/8'' aluminum bars in the CR High Bend or KX High Bend, because they are only like 28 bucks.  I don't know all of the benifits of 1 1/8'' bars, but Rocky Mountain has a set of 1 1/8'' Tusk Longhorns for 30 bucks.  Should I even be considering 7/8'' bars?  I was also wondering whats the difference between KX High Bend and Cr High Bend, also cross bar or without a cross bar.

One last thing, How far can I raise my bars before I need longer cables?

« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 03:41:42 AM by stock500 »

Offline BDI

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2008, 06:20:07 AM »
So the fat bars help reduce viberation?  That would be a nice perk!  I was looking at some standard 7/8'' aluminum bars in the CR High Bend or KX High Bend, because they are only like 28 bucks.  I don't know all of the benifits of 1 1/8'' bars, but Rocky Mountain has a set of 1 1/8'' Tusk Longhorns for 30 bucks.  Should I even be considering 7/8'' bars?  I was also wondering whats the difference between KX High Bend and Cr High Bend, also cross bar or without a cross bar.

One last thing, How far can I raise my bars before I need longer cables?

Go with the fat bars and you don't want the cross bar. Thats how the fat bars help to reduce vibes and give you a plusher ride. The fat bars are designed to flex but don't be fooled they are way stronger then the 7/8 bars with a cross bar. As far as differences between the handlebars if you go to each of the handlebar manufacturers web site they give the specs on all of their bars as far as rise,width and bend.                     
                       http://www.protaper.com/contents/products/handlebars/index.html
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 05:05:35 PM by BDI »
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2008, 06:31:39 AM »
I run Scotts steering stabilizer, bar cones and mount.  The mount gives 1 inch rise.  Protaper fat bars, Henry/Reed bend.  I'm 6 ft. and feel like I could use 1 to 1 1/2 inch more rise.

Bar Mount Replacement Cones: If you have rubber mounting cones in your triple clamps, i.e. KDX, KX's, CR500's, have you ever noticed how your bars flex and mis-align easily............

http://www.scottsperformance.com/accessories.php#Bar%20Mount%20Cones

http://www.protaper.com/contents/products/handlebars/index.html
KX 500 Rider

Offline heavyweight44

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2014, 11:11:22 AM »
6'5" I have the Protaper Pastrana ATV bars on BRP mounts. The Mounts are the largest ones you can get from BRP, set a little forward. I am going to put on a few big washers to get the desired height. The bars are decent, and the stock cables work like a champ, with a little bit more room to go up.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 05:47:54 AM by heavyweight44 »

Offline Twosmokerfan

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2014, 08:47:59 PM »
I am 6' 2.5" and run a set of CR (or RC) high bends. They work well.

TSF

Offline Craptabulous

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2014, 03:46:30 PM »
I am at 4000 feet ,40:1 fmf fatty and silencer on 94 octane . 3rd clip 168 main 58 pilot im thinking about switching to a 165 and a 55 on the third clip . Its about 25 celsius .  I usually only go up in elevation . Very rarely below 3000 feet . I have a very small over bore

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2014, 04:04:46 PM »
55 168 is what I run at 0-1500 ft.
I ran the same jetting at 4000-4500 ft and it might have been ok if I dropped the needle 1 clip deeper.
Whatever you do.... throttle chops are a must.
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline Craptabulous

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2014, 10:48:29 PM »
Oops some how that ended up in the wrong thread. Does that sound lean to you ?

Just to add to this thread since i feel bad about my miss post . I recently installed a solid mount tag upper clamp with a set of fat bars and pillow tops , i was very impressed with the difference in vibration level , i thought it would go the other way . 
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 11:06:54 PM by Craptabulous »

Offline Sideplater

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2014, 08:16:11 PM »
I'm using a set of bar risers on my '04 along with my XR650 bend 'Answer' bars.

Awesome.

I'm 5'10, always found the standard bars too low