Author Topic: AC Subframe Fitment Issues  (Read 3260 times)

Offline jcm3

AC Subframe Fitment Issues
« on: June 17, 2014, 07:45:46 AM »
A good buddy of mine just bought an AC subframe.  His fitment issues are major.  He basically can't even get it to work.  Some of the holes are an inch or more off, kind of like the process they used to build it is out of calibration or something.

He said AC was out, so had to make this one, which may or may not be common.  I imagine with older bikes like this there is not a big stockpile of these, and they probably make them to fill need.

I'm just curious about how the quality and fitment has been for others using the AC subframe.  He has an AC on there now, so obviously it is ok.  I also have one on mine, but curious if it is hit or miss.

Thanks for any information.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 07:48:33 AM by jcm3 »
2000 KX500 - Tom Morgan motor, RG3 suspension, EBC oversized front brake rotor - lots-o-fun

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
Re: AC Subframe Fitment Issues
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 08:19:29 AM »
I haven't heard of any fitment issues...
Your buddy may want to check his year.
Take a look here:
http://www.oem-cycle.com/Find_Out_Year_of_bike.shtml
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline jcm3

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 08:37:00 AM »
Thanks for your response, Sandblaster.
2000 KX500 - Tom Morgan motor, RG3 suspension, EBC oversized front brake rotor - lots-o-fun

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 08:53:14 AM »
No problem.
Let us know what you find..
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline jcm3

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 09:18:39 AM »
Are there mild differences in the frame in close years?  The reason I ask is because I believe his is a '97, but if it is a year or two off I would assume that since they changed the bike so little over a number of years that it would not cause a fitmetn issue.  But, I'll have him confirm that the frame info matches the year of the part that he ordered.

Thanks for your input.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 12:01:00 PM »
91-04 will all interchange, I suspect that 89-90 will also although they use different part numbers, 87 has it's own part number as well as 86.
85 and older have the sub frame as part of the frame.

Offline don46

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2014, 03:58:03 AM »
just to be certain, you are talking about a 500. if so very little changes over the years. I have used several AC subframes and have had good luck. maybe they sent him one for something other than a 500. subframe should be the same from 89 on and maybe you could use a 89 250 as well
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Offline heavyweight44

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2014, 04:36:55 AM »
I just ordered an AC Subframe and they did a HORRIBLE job on it. It's the correct part number, but the main area of issue was the cross bar that  doubles as the airbox-rear fender mount point. It was welded 1/8th inch to HIGH on one side, rendering the lineup of the other 2 air box holes off by the same distance. Further, the pressed in threads, where all hammered in at an angle, very sloppy.
The exhaust hole was drilled a few times, creating an oval.  Seems like the person who mocked this up, and welded it was drunk and did not give a CRAP about accuracy, detail  and worksmanship. I sent the sub frame back for refund.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 12:53:53 AM by heavyweight44 »