Author Topic: 2.5" rear rim on a KX500?  (Read 2818 times)

Offline ben

2.5" rear rim on a KX500?
« on: February 09, 2005, 11:39:36 PM »
I bought a 19" rear wheel with a 2.5" wide rim off of this website a while ago, and I recently put a sprocket and disk rotor on it, and tried to put it on my 2001 KX500.  I was interested in having a second wheel, as well as trying the wider rim (stock is 2.15) to see how it would work.

My problem is that there isn't enough clearance between the chain and the knobs on the tire with the wider rim.  I am running an o-ring chain, and it looks like there would still be clearance problems with a non-o-ring chain.

Has anyone successfully used a 2.5 inch rim on a KX500?

Is anyone interested in this wheel?  I'd let it go pretty cheap, as I just bought a second set of KX wheels off of eBay.

Thanks!

--Ben

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2005, 04:32:51 AM »
Yes, I have messed with a 3.5 inch rim. The width helps spread the knobs for hill climbing or drag racing. Anyway, you have to relace the rim with the wheel slightly to the right. Looks akward, but that is the only way, at least with a 3.5 rim. I never got far with it, cause I enjoy turning, not just streight shots.

Offline demographic

Re: 2.5" rear rim on a KX500?
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2005, 08:37:46 AM »
Quote from: ben
I bought a 19" rear wheel with a 2.5" wide rim off of this website a while ago, and I recently put a sprocket and disk rotor on it, and tried to put it on my 2001 KX500.  I was interested in having a second wheel, as well as trying the wider rim (stock is 2.15) to see how it would work.

My problem is that there isn't enough clearance between the chain and the knobs on the tire with the wider rim.  I am running an o-ring chain, and it looks like there would still be clearance problems with a non-o-ring chain.

Has anyone successfully used a 2.5 inch rim on a KX500?

Is anyone interested in this wheel?  I'd let it go pretty cheap, as I just bought a second set of KX wheels off of eBay.

Thanks!

--Ben

2.5?

Hell, mines 4.25 :lol:
But no knobbles on em just 17" road tyres

Offline bigborefan

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2005, 11:36:35 AM »
I think I sold you that wheel. What do you want for it? John 217-840-8705
2006 KTM 300XC
1994 KX 500 x 2
1991 KX 500
1988 KX 250

Offline ben

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2005, 11:32:36 PM »
I bought this a while ago from someone on this website, and it came with a set of green Moose gear.  I think I paid $200 or $250 for everything shipped to me here in Honeoye Falls, NY.

I've added a brake disk and a used sprocket to the wheel, so it is complete.  It is in the same condition I bought it in, basically brand new with a couple of small scratches from tire irons.

I'm open for any offers/trades.  I could take digital pics of it if anyone is interested.  I don't have the time or know-how to relace the wheel to get more clearance between the tire and chain.  I think it might be okay with a non-oring chain, but who runs a non-oring chain on the mighty KX500?!

Email me at ben.atkinson@impact-tek.com for more info, pics, or offers...

--Ben