Author Topic: Question in regards to using tie-downs...  (Read 2044 times)

Offline GDubb

Question in regards to using tie-downs...
« on: February 03, 2005, 10:26:26 AM »
I know this sounds like a real rookie question, but its something I've always taken for granted, but never really asked for much info on... What is the best way to haul a bike as far as sinching down the front forks? I ask this because I know that sinching down the forks is not necessarily good for the fork seals so I am wondering if any of you have any tricks that you use to make it easier on the seals, yet still hold the bike firmly in place during transport?  Thanks again!
Rock it 'til the wheels fall off!

"It's not what you ride... It's who you're riding for!" - www.mxrevelation.com -

Offline machine

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2005, 12:28:31 PM »
Look up fork savers.
I use one, and it seems to work good.

Rick

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2005, 01:53:29 PM »
Plastic fork supports are great.  If you can't find them, do it the old way and make one out of a 4x4.  Simply goes between the tire and bottom of the fender to keep the fork from compressing too much.

Rick

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2005, 05:37:53 PM »
I can't see how it could be too hard on your seals.  I don't think the seal comes under much pressure until the air in the fork is very compressed, as in bottoming the fork.  The pressure increase is huge (exponential) right at the last couple inches of travel.  Might sack the springs a bit but I still think your springs get more of a workout riding than riding in the back of the truck.  However, lots of my friends use various types of supports.  Maybe I'm missing something. Cam.