Author Topic: 1987 KX5 - Need Help Identifying Part  (Read 4817 times)

Offline 317

1987 KX5 - Need Help Identifying Part
« on: June 30, 2014, 08:45:17 AM »
I'm working on a 1987 KX5 that came to me in a cardboard box. I have the bottom and almost completely assembled and there is one elusive part that I'm not sure if it belongs with this motor or if it fell in the box by accident.

Let me know what you think. 19 MM OD/15 MM ID, nice and shiny like it's an internal part, can't find anything like it on the parts fiche. Thanks in advance.

Offline reklessj

Re: 1987 KX5 - Need Help Identifying Part
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 09:23:47 AM »
Welcome to the site!! I unfortunately can't help ya as I send my motor out for work but a lotof guys on here really know these motors in and! SSomeone will chime in that will help, I have gained a mass amount of knowledge from these guys you came to the right spot!! Post some pics n vids when ya get her all back together
My rides: 1994 KX500, 1988 T4, 1998, ZXI 1100 JETSKI, 2003 MOUNTAIN CAT 900
WIFES (Baby Fiver) rides: 2004 KTM 105SX,1992 LT250R, 1995 ZXI 900 JETSKI,  2011 RMK 600
SONS ride: 1995 YZ125,2002 RM 250
other rides: 2007 RMZ450 RC Ediition, 2003 RMK700

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 09:39:22 AM »
I never had an 87, but it looks like a bearing case/cage or bushing/sleeve.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline yeomans

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 01:49:37 PM »
Can you post a pic from another angle.
Possible sleeve for bearing on back side of clutch basket. Looks a bit small though.
How far along is your build? Is your trans sealed?
Cant think of anything else just yet.

Offline 317

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 05:09:10 PM »
Thank you for the welcome, I figured I came to the right spot!

FWIW, some of you might frown on this but this engine is being built to go into a 1987 Suzuki LTR quad racer chassis. I am just helping a buddy put the motor back together to go into his chassis. He bought the whole thing has a project with the motor already in the chassis but with the top end off. He brought it to me in a box and left it up to me to figure things out. I'm not new at this but couldn't figure out where this piece went.

The bottom and was split cleaned sandblasted and assembled. The trans and crank went together with all their correct parts per the parts fish. All bearing bushings/sleeves were installed correctly the tranny shifts through all gears and doesn't have any problems. I found a chipped tooth on the primary gear so were waiting on that before we assembled the clutch and put the right side case cover back on. This is the only part I can't account for. Your help is appreciated! Unfortunately I do not have the part, instead I gave it back to the original owner to see if he could identify it with one of his other projects.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 09:12:22 AM »
you've definitely come to right place!...more than you know.
have a gander at this thread...Goat has done pretty much what you're getting into...

http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,12373.0.html
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline 317

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 05:20:24 AM »
Thanks for the link, it was a good read.

If no one has any objections I think I'm going to punt and finish putting this thing back together. Thank you for the help.

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 05:00:03 PM »
That piece doesn't go to any KX I've ever worked on. I know these green machines inside and out pretty well. Also know the red machines just as well but don't tell anyone :P
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Offline 317

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2014, 12:04:39 AM »
That piece doesn't go to any KX I've ever worked on. I know these green machines inside and out pretty well. Also know the red machines just as well but don't tell anyone :P
Goat, thank you, that makes me feel better. I have way more experience with the red machines, for some reason they're just more popular around here than the green ones. To each his own though, and I really appreciate the help. :-D