Author Topic: Spring Rate Suggestions  (Read 13431 times)

Offline WOUpf59

Spring Rate Suggestions
« on: May 10, 2014, 02:21:32 PM »
Just bought a 1999 500 it is in really great shape and is a low hour bike. Suspension on it is stock as can be, I am a bigger guy, about 270lbs without riding gear. I am trying to figure out what spring rates I should buy for both the forks and shock. I have done the spring rate calculator on Race Tech's website and they recommend that I get 0.578 kg/mm for the forks and 6.73 kg/mm for the shock. I have heard that Race Tech is notorious for their suggestions being more on the stiffer side. I ride predominantly in the desert and I am a B class rider. I was wondering if anyone of similar size and speed has re-sprung their KX and what rates they used. I would hate to spend the $250 and have it be way to stiff for me.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
Re: Spring Rate Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 03:17:23 PM »
I'm 220 lb without gear and ride with those same springs that race tech recommends for you.
I'm not a mx champion so I don't fully compress my suspension too often.
I'm very satisfied with those spring rates,
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline WOUpf59

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 04:42:25 AM »
Thanks. I think I will probably just end up going with those springs. Having trouble finding much information on other possible spring rates.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 04:52:28 AM »
Yep.
It's like a big secret.... Ssssshhhhhhhh... Don't tell anyone what they need  :-D
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 08:07:21 AM »
scroll down to just above where you see "Honda", and read the **NOTE**

http://www.factoryconnection.com/sag/

more good info...

http://www.factoryconnection.com/bike-setup/trouble-shooting/

I've been using these guys since the mid 90s, and have never yet been disappointed by any of their work or advice...knock on wood.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 10:48:36 AM by Foxx4Beaver »
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline WOUpf59

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 05:31:17 AM »
I'm 220 lb without gear and ride with those same springs that race tech recommends for you.
I'm not a mx champion so I don't fully compress my suspension too often.
I'm very satisfied with those spring rates,

sandblaster, where did you get your springs from? Looking at Race tech's website they do not list that they have fork springs or shock springs of that rate. The highest they list for the forks is .48 and 6,4 for the shock. I've convinced myself that I am going to buy the 0.57 fork springs and 6.7 shock spring per their spring calculator just having trouble finding somewhere that sells them both. Factory connection sells that shock spring but not the fork springs.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2014, 06:26:03 AM »
I went with the highest spring they had for the shocks and the forks.
For you, I would call race tech and ask them
951-279-6655
If you find some that will work for you, write down what they are and I'll see what kind of a price I can get them for.
Also, check ebay... You can score some ridiculous deals if you know what you are looking for.

Offline WOUpf59

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2014, 05:57:31 AM »
I appreciate all the help. I was able to track down some springs from Darrel at Suspension by Design. He had fork springs all the way up to 0.54 kg/mm and shock springs as heavy as 7.4 kg/mm. He was the only provider that I could find that had fork springs stiffer than 0.48 kg/mm

Offline jbehunin

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2014, 07:52:22 AM »
I appreciate all the help. I was able to track down some springs from Darrel at Suspension by Design. He had fork springs all the way up to 0.54 kg/mm and shock springs as heavy as 7.4 kg/mm. He was the only provider that I could find that had fork springs stiffer than 0.48 kg/mm

Can you get me the contact information for Suspension by Design? I am also looking for stiffer springs.....

Offline WOUpf59

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2014, 08:09:11 AM »
You can reach Darrel at 503-201-5698

Offline jbehunin

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2014, 05:30:25 AM »
Ok.... Thanks!!!!

Offline whitedog

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2014, 03:30:33 PM »
Would you be interested in selling the stock spring?  I think my bike has a harder than stock  spring in it.
How do you tell what u got? The coils in mine are 12 mm dia
Owner of a Johnny Cash K5  "Well... its an 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90..."
Thanks Floyd... thanks for NOTHIN' !"

Offline meangreen500

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2014, 05:02:34 PM »
I got 5.2 springs for the forks and 7.2 for the shock, love the setup

Offline heavyweight44

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2014, 11:06:42 AM »
WOUpf59,,, I was close to your weight a few weeks back,,, 265, and I purchased the racetech .48 springs, and they are SPOT ON!  I have a 1997, the forks are STIFF in a good way. I lost 10 pounds in the past few weeks, because of the .48 (now at 255)!!!  I had my rear shock spring replaced by Dave at STM suspension, and it is right on. My rear shock spring is for a 250 pound rider.
The suspension is now very good, and I am planning on loosing another 10 pounds ;) I am 6"5, and now have to work on the size 14's and the shifter.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2014, 12:07:17 PM »
On your shifter, get a Hammerhead for a KX450f and order the one that is 20mm longer then stock.
It works good for my size 12's.