Author Topic: Front brake mod on 2001 KX 500  (Read 4152 times)

Offline Motodawg1

• Moto Restorations
Front brake mod on 2001 KX 500
« on: June 17, 2015, 03:58:20 PM »
i was just curious, (seeing as how one of my bolts broke on the master cylinder), if anyone knew of a different front master cylinder like from a Kx450f that will bolt up to the 2001 KX 500 brake line? i looked on Ebay for a replacement and didn see one for this year model. Plus it would be nice to be able to add aftermarket levers without going thru the problem of finding green levers with the hole that the master cylinder rod goes thru...
Don't drink lake water, fish have sex in it... :)

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
Re: Front brake mod on 2001 KX 500
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 05:46:08 PM »
I use a late model CRF450r master cylinder on my 01 kx500.
My brake caliper is in excellent condition, I use a over sized rotor, and a SS brake hose.
I didn't notice much improvement with the CRF master cylinder but no issues either.
A recommendation is while you are replacing your master cylinder, disassemble your caliper and at a minimum clean your seals.
Few ever do this and it makes a big difference in your brake performance.

Before:

After:

The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline cbmoor

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 09:01:42 PM »
I fitted an 2009 crf450 master cylinder to my 2001 and then fitted zeta foldable levers works good, was also able to use the standard kx hydraulic hose, even though the fitting was on the back side of the crf cylinder.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 09:05:57 PM »
I used a 2012 CRF front master on my 2000 KX250...made a HUGE  difference!
before, with the KX master, I'd have to grab the front brake lever really hard, and the lever would come pretty close to touching the handle bar, with it adjusted at the "touch-iest" setting.
With the CRF master, I barley have touch the lever and the rear wheel will lift off the ground under braking.  

here's what I did, scroll down about 1/2 way...

http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,10821.30.html
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 06:58:02 AM by Foxx4Beaver »
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline alward25

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2015, 01:55:35 AM »
When mine was not working well, I flushed and bled my system and it brought it back to life.  I did the CRF mod at one point too and saw zero difference.  The KX master cylinder on my 08 works great and if I were to up grade, it would be with a newer kx.  I just read too that Destry Abbott runs a KX 500 master cylinder on his 250F for endurocross.
"Let there be light"

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2015, 06:51:08 AM »
just goes to show how much discrepancies there are from one master to another.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline Motodawg1

• Moto Restorations
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2015, 07:33:49 AM »
Thanks for all the info guys! i was able to get the broken screw out of the handlebar clamping area of the master cylinder, so i saved a few bucks there, lol. Now to find a good lookin front brake lever that has the hole in it for the master cylinder rod to go thru...
Don't drink lake water, fish have sex in it... :)