Author Topic: Sub- frame problems  (Read 3450 times)

Greenrider

Sub- frame problems
« on: March 21, 2003, 01:15:21 PM »
What do you guys do when the rivet nuts inserted in the sub-frame strip?It's a pain to remove the bolts when the inserts just spin in the sub-frame

moburki

Sub- frame problems
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2003, 06:22:49 PM »
there is a tool to try and re-crush the rivet into the subframe. or, you can use a homemade method. try to thread a bolt into the hole as far as possible, putting an extra nut on the bolt before it goes into the insert. if you get enough purchase on the threads, you can spin the nut down to the suface of the insert, and tighten it holding the bolt from spinning (then run a tap through it). this will re-squish the insert, and maybe it will quit spinning. maybe not, then try 609 loctite, very carefully.
mo

Rick

Sub- frame problems
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2003, 04:01:51 AM »
I have had this happen two times, one on the throttle side seat bolt, and one on the clutch side bottom side panel bolt. Tried everything to fix it, but no dice.  I pulled out the insert (the hole was quite large by this time), drilled the hole all the way through, and installed a longer bolt and nut.  On the side panel bolt, I had to use a very short nut to clear the air box.  Interestingly enough, both events occured on my 1999 KX500.  Never had the problem before or since.

I really like the home grown method described by moburki.  The only change I would make is to ensure you use an 8.8 grade bolt so it does not strip or break off.  Let us know how it works.

Rick

Greenrider

Sub- frame problems
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2003, 12:53:20 PM »
My problems are solved, I found a guy in California that used to make chrome molly sub frames for Team Green and I bought a new one for $150.00. I took my old sub-frame with me and he put new inserts in the old one and charged me $20.00, so now I've got a spare. If anyone would like a new chrome molly sub-frame, he has 10 left. They are powdered coated black and are alittle heavy but will last forever!

moburki

Sub- frame problems
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2003, 04:38:11 PM »
wish i would have had this option before i dropped 170 on an AC (i think) subframe. not too straight, putting more stress on my already fatigue ridden frame mounts. (unless my frame is bent, doesnt ride like it is.)
mo