Author Topic: 93 KX250 tips,tricks and mods????  (Read 8840 times)

Offline chipped tooth

93 KX250 tips,tricks and mods????
« on: April 17, 2014, 09:55:08 AM »
I just bought a 93 250 that needs some tlc.

It has the usual Kx skipping kick starter, low compression and many other small issues.

While I'm in the process of dismantling and restore, modify what should I do?

I have herd a 94 expansion chamber is a good upgrade.
Not looking to spend a ton on it just cheap or free mods.

One more thing, I run my own machine shop so any engine work I can do myself other than replate cylinders.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
Re: 93 KX250 tips,tricks and mods????
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 11:43:35 AM »
it really all depends on how reliable of a bike you want...period.
do you want to ride worry free...or pray you make it back to the truck/home each and every ride?

your kick start issue is more than likely just a ratchet spring...$6 part
your low compression is telling you complete top-end, re-plate included...either side of $500 by the time you're done...gaskets included.
we don't know what the bottom end is like, but I'd put money on it needing attention in some way...which could run you another $1000..."could".
not sure what the "other small issues" are...but you can rack up some serious cash...really fast.
when I buy any used bike...I go into it knowing and expecting to spend between $1500-$2000...just to start...that doesn't include all the little nick knacks along the way.

the more you spend, the less worry you'll have.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 11:46:40 AM by Foxx4Beaver »
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline chipped tooth

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 12:13:56 PM »
I'm just looking to make the usual upgrades, not gonna spend a ton on it.
I can do everything to the bike minus replate the cylinder.
I'm a engine builder/Machinest, I have my own business.

I herd the 94 pipe was a good cheap upgrade for the 92,93 bikes.

I can't seem to look at the link here for Kx250 racing files at the top.
It shows there is supposed to be a attachment but nothing showes up.
Am I doing something wrong? I'm on my Droid one.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 12:21:47 PM »
I have a 94 FMF nickel Fatty that I have no use for if you're interested....you can have it if you want, just send me a couple bucks for shipping.
I never heard of the 94 pipe being a good upgrade, but hey, maybe you can verify it for us. :-)
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline chipped tooth

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 12:52:45 PM »
I did a little sniffing on the net and only found one about the 94 pipe on a 93, might be a load of bs LOL

I will send a Pm Foxx

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 05:56:29 AM »
alright...here's a couple pics...I just got off the phone with FMF to verify that it is indeed a 94 pipe. The numbers on it are "K-27  070896".

I'll get you a shipping price by tomorrow.

Offline motopunk

• www.der-motopunk.de.tl
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 06:32:14 AM »
i had a smart modified 98 oem-pipe on a 93 kx250 engine ... it gave little bit more bottom power and lots of riding fun...

you can also change the complete cylinder. 93-2004 has the same base... that would be a real power-update to the engine...  :wink:
big 2 stroke bikes are weapons for real men, who don´t fear death or devil. ;O)
´83 kx250, ´87 kx250 (with 360 big bore), 87 kx500, ´93 kx500 sfc

---  www.der-motopunk.de.tl  ---

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 11:36:45 AM »

Offline DoldGuy

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 12:01:16 PM »
The 93 (J2 Model) is THE KX250 motor in my opinion, it can be made for bottom end or top end power with just a few changes. If you are after top, keep the stock pipe as it pulls harder up top than any other pipe & I tried them all. If you are looking for more bottom & mid go with the FMF, but it takes away a lot of top & over rev.

The FMF pipe for the 93 (92 model also) is the K24, the K27 is for the 94 model as Fox has stated & the mounting for it is for the "New" style  frame of 94, but it is the last of the "Big" exhaust port pipes.

I think there is an extra stock 93 model pipe at my shop as I am using the later style frames now, i will check if interested, but it is a "Top End" style pipe.

If you would like more info on the 93 motor, let us know what type of power you are looking for & sure we can help.

DoldGuy
Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!

Offline motopunk

• www.der-motopunk.de.tl
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2014, 05:00:45 PM »
The 93 (J2 Model) is THE KX250 motor in my opinion, it can be made for bottom end or top end power with just a few changes. If you are after top, keep the stock pipe as it pulls harder up top than any other pipe & I tried them all. If you are looking for more bottom & mid go with the FMF, but it takes away a lot of top & over rev.

The FMF pipe for the 93 (92 model also) is the K24, the K27 is for the 94 model as Fox has stated & the mounting for it is for the "New" style  frame of 94, but it is the last of the "Big" exhaust port pipes.

I think there is an extra stock 93 model pipe at my shop as I am using the later style frames now, i will check if interested, but it is a "Top End" style pipe.

If you would like more info on the 93 motor, let us know what type of power you are looking for & sure we can help.

DoldGuy

all agreed.. but the last fullsize exhaust port was in 95... in 96 came the smaller one (for more torque and bottom end power)...  thats important to know for all guys, that want to make a big bore with 300cc or more...
big 2 stroke bikes are weapons for real men, who don´t fear death or devil. ;O)
´83 kx250, ´87 kx250 (with 360 big bore), 87 kx500, ´93 kx500 sfc

---  www.der-motopunk.de.tl  ---

Offline staffylad

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2014, 08:35:05 AM »
I have a 94 FMF nickel Fatty that I have no use for if you're interested....you can have it if you want, just send me a couple bucks for shipping.
I never heard of the 94 pipe being a good upgrade, but hey, maybe you can verify it for us. :-)

beaver have yous got a l/h kip in gud nick for myne  :lol:

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2014, 08:39:29 AM »
no, sorry Staffy...the only reason I had this pipe was because the hack teenaged kid that had my 2000 250 before me, had strapped on the 94 pipe and only had it held on there by the springs...or I should say spring, because one of the spring loops on the cylinder was broken off...probably due to no bolts holding the pipe on.

Offline staffylad

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2014, 07:21:30 AM »
aww mann neegood budd,ya wouldn't happen to know where I coulf get some purple handlebars by anychance ther lookin impossible to find ,ive been out on the menace today it ran great loads of power an rm rider fell off tryin to keep up  :lol:

Offline Foxx4Beaver