Author Topic: My new 1987 KX 250...Trans & Brake pedal Question  (Read 3145 times)

Offline dinkyguitar

My new 1987 KX 250...Trans & Brake pedal Question
« on: April 14, 2014, 06:52:58 AM »
Hi All,

My 1st post, and new KX 250.

So I got this bike for free from my cousin. He bought it some years ago and at some point couldn't shift into second but used 3rd gear and on. Then at some point he couldn't get into neutral. So he left the bike in a shed for 8 years or so.

I got it this past Saturday and here's what she looks like.

Plus when I pull the clutch in it doesn't disengage. Plus it had a mouse family in the air box that passed away :( . And I'm still cleaning that all out.

So the other issue is the brake pedal which is rubbing into the case. Does this pedal look to be right? Or does it look like it belongs on a different model bike?

I just ordered a service manual and plan to take everything apart....Does it seem worth it?

dinky,

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
Re: My new 1987 KX 250...Trans & Brake pedal Question
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 07:15:56 AM »
That rear brake lever looks identical to a 87 KX250 lever.
A little heat and a little bending will have it in order.
Is it worth it?
You won't know until you get into it and see what all you need, add the cost, and weigh that with your intent.
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 07:30:36 AM »
I think we've all seen a lot worse...and come back to brand new condition....all depends on how much time and money you want to spend on it.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline motopunk

• www.der-motopunk.de.tl
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 07:32:26 AM »
if you want to restore the bike, is it always worth to catch any info that you can...  :-)
new replica-plastics for example, you can get here: www.nightmare-racing.com

here is my 87 kx 250 rebuild.. you would see that my bike were in very badder condition than yours, except the fresh cylinder and piston with 5hours on it, that the preowner made... and now it looks like a complete diferent bike...  :-)

http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,11655.new.html#new
before:

and now:
big 2 stroke bikes are weapons for real men, who don´t fear death or devil. ;O)
´83 kx250, ´87 kx250 (with 360 big bore), 87 kx500, ´93 kx500 sfc

---  www.der-motopunk.de.tl  ---

Offline dinkyguitar

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 08:00:03 AM »
Thanks...

And thanks for the link motopunk,

Any ideas on the trans? I'm thinking, well for one, that the clutch plates are sticking together, and maybe shift fork.

Either way, I'm hoping the internals won't be too bad...

How does this bike work as far as power? Good low end? Good top end? Overall engine performance and or horsepower?

dinky,

Offline motopunk

• www.der-motopunk.de.tl
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 10:01:38 AM »
Thanks...

And thanks for the link motopunk,

Any ideas on the trans? I'm thinking, well for one, that the clutch plates are sticking together, and maybe shift fork.

Either way, I'm hoping the internals won't be too bad...

How does this bike work as far as power? Good low end? Good top end? Overall engine performance and or horsepower?

dinky,

that sounds like a worn shiftfork... exactly you could figure it out, when you see it directly..  definetely you should replace the washers and snaprings on the shafts..

my engine is not stock , with a lighter crank and ported cylinder...  very easy to ride,little bit like a 125 with 250 power..
the stock engine like yours, has also a real good powerband from bottom to top... that was the first kx 250 engine with real good bottom power. 
big 2 stroke bikes are weapons for real men, who don´t fear death or devil. ;O)
´83 kx250, ´87 kx250 (with 360 big bore), 87 kx500, ´93 kx500 sfc

---  www.der-motopunk.de.tl  ---