Author Topic: Hey guys I have some questions about my new to me kx125  (Read 6748 times)

Offline Tyler83

Hey guys I have some questions about my new to me kx125
« on: April 13, 2014, 03:58:09 PM »
First let me start off by saying this is a great forum, I'm learning a ton!   I bought a project bike for something to tinker with in the garage in the evenings and eventually have something fun to ride.  It was sold to me as a 1994 kx 125.  From doing some searching on here the shroud graphics look like a 95.  It was running when I bought but no power, any power it did have was on the top end.  So after doing some searching and reading I was led to believe the power valves could be the culprit.  So I pulled the head and jug and sure enough it was missing the right side valve.  Well I went to Motorsport to start looking at some schematics and the 1994 cylinder did not look like what I have.  So that's a little bit frustrating.  I started browsing thru the years and it looks like the 1991 cylinder matches what I have.  Anyways I have some numbers here and wondering if anyone can tell me what I have, I'd really appreciate it. 
Frame neck
JKAKXRH13LA005753
Top of the right side engine case
KX125FE006528
I don't know if this one could be any help or if it's just a part number but on the left side of the cylinder on the inside of a cover on the cylinder it has the number 1565.

Also I found the plastic gear on the exhaust valve actuator broke in half. 

Am I going to have a tough time finding these parts?
Can I just bolt on a newer model cylinder on my crankcase?

I really appreciate any help anybody can give me
Tyler

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
Re: Hey guys I have some questions about my new to me kx125
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 05:04:11 PM »
Chassis 1990.
Motor is between 1988-1990
1990 carb KEIHIN PWK V56
1990 Cylinder 1602
Compare and see if the parts match.
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline Tyler83

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 12:41:54 AM »
Thanks alot, can't tell you that's what I wanted to hear, but it's what I needed to know.   That will really clear up a lot of problems for me.  Now to locate some power valves, couldn't find any on ebay...

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 03:44:52 AM »
Try searching "kips valves" or "exhaust valves"
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 03:46:57 AM by sandblaster »
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline Tyler83

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 04:20:51 AM »
Thanks for the search idea's that got me closer, but still not what I need for sale right now.   I need the RH side and I only found the top and LH side (of course with my luck)   I can't believe the shortage of these things, theres got to be a hundred actuators on there and only 2 valves.   Sucks they discontinued them.

Offline staffylad

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 07:08:29 AM »
I know the feeling with the l/h kip it has 3 teeth missing,i checked with Kawasaki and ther always outa stock,i recently just done a top end rebuild and cleaned all the carbon out,the rattling seems to be loud but on research of this everyone says its normal to have noisy kips and that its the flap in the port rattlin apparently they come from the factory like this but still that wear on the teeth could lead to a problem  :roll: :roll:

Offline Tyler83

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 07:23:19 AM »
I think I may have found what i'm looking for hopefully they're in stock
thought i'd post the link to help anyone else out that may be looking.
http://www.kawasakipartsnation.com/oemparts/a/kaw/50a69d80f870021678c64726/cylinder-head-cylinder-kx125-h1

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 07:40:04 AM »
Don't be surprised if after you order and pay for them they tell you they are no longer available.
Not trying to rain on your parade but that has been my experience too many times  :oops:

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 07:54:37 AM »
I like to use Rocky Mountain-ATV or Motosport, there's others I like too,
but I like them because next to an item you want, it'll say something like these...

"NOT SHIPPING"...which means it's back ordered, or it could be in the process of being up-dated to "discontinued".
"USUALLY SHIPS IN 5-7 BUSINESS DAYS"...which usually means they have it at another warehouse.
"IN STOCK"...which means it'll usually be shipped out the next business day.
"DISCONTINUED"...which is self explanatory.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 08:10:06 AM by Foxx4Beaver »
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline Tyler83

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2014, 08:03:26 AM »
Yup I got too excited, I did decide to call before I ordered, thank god.   And you're right they are out of stock there too, so they would have taken my money and not had the parts soo, back to square one.   I did order a rough cylinder off of ebay last night but i don't have a whole lot of hope for it, but maybe i'll be wrong.  not with my luck..... haha 

Offline staffylad

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2014, 12:40:28 AM »
must be different on 94 250s cos thers a cog on the bottom aswell on the left kip or could be right don't know wich way round if you have the jug off upside down its the left one ,its hard to find ,anyone got any tips on how to remove the races lol ive got the tree in the freezer ,having trouble getting that bearing down  :lol:

Offline Tyler83

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2014, 06:34:32 AM »
Would anyone know, I mean i'm grasping at straws here but if this would fit my 1990 KX 125?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251400521023?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I know the part # for the valve Need is 12005-1145

the part # on ebay is 12005-1195, how different can these be I mean they look identical, Could I make this work?

Offline staffylad

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2014, 01:48:55 AM »
think the right ones are all the same like its the left ones that are different,im looking for a left hand one for  k1250 94 model,they have 2 cogs on the left kips that's joined to the timeing at the bottom,sure thers only 2 different ones out of all the years.. :lol:

Offline Tyler83

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2014, 02:24:47 AM »
So do you think I would be ok buying the one I have linked off of ebay?

Offline staffylad

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2014, 07:44:33 AM »
heres a picture of some 94 kips,as you can see the left one has a cog on the bottom wer as some other ones just have one on each halfway up ..