Author Topic: 1993 Rebuild....and Intro  (Read 13945 times)

Offline DoldGuy

Re: 1993 Rebuild....and Intro
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2014, 10:11:37 AM »
thought my eyes were playin tricks on me...almost looks sleeved.
That is sleeved.

I know, I was being sarcastic...you can clearly see the difference in color.

My eyes DO play tricks on me
Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2014, 10:20:52 AM »
thought my eyes were playin tricks on me...almost looks sleeved.
That is sleeved.

I know, I was being sarcastic...you can clearly see the difference in color.

My eyes DO play tricks on me

hehe...it's the vodka that plays tricks on my eyes :-D
I had a 93 KX250 that I had sleeved back in 95 by Kustom Kraft...and I started using coolant like crazy, adding some every ride....and it was the sleeve sticking up ever so slightly over the cylinder.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 10:28:27 AM by Foxx4Beaver »
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline brucifer

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2014, 02:41:25 AM »
Finally got the parts ordered and will start the disassembly and rebuild shortly........hopefully.  :-D

Offline jbehunin

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2014, 08:43:57 AM »
I rebuilt a 1993 KX 500. It was a fun project, but got a little pricey, but it was well worth it in the end.

When I tore the motor down, I found out that the chain skipped and hit the case where the clutch pull is located and cracked it. I was able to obtain new cases from a 2004 model. After all the bearings and seals were purchased for the bottom end, I had a friend who used to wrench for Team Green assemble it for me. He modified the third gear for me, ( I still don't know what that means) and put it all together for me. I sent the cylinder out to Mellinium to be replated. While assembling the motor, my buddy did a modification to the KIPS valve system. He also rebuilt my forks and shock for me as well.

The bike is an awesome ride for being 21 years old. It starts up easily and runs perfect. A few months ago, I acquired a 2002 rolling chassis and put the motor in it. Everything is the same, but now its a 2002 KX 500.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2014, 10:39:09 AM »
Modified the third gear?
I would be greatly interested in what he modified...
If you find out, let us know as I am certain there is more then a few of us interested to know.
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline motojason

• Two arms, two legs, two wheels, perfection!
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2014, 09:51:57 AM »
Modified the third gear?
If you find out, let us know as I am certain there is more then a few of us interested to know.

Undercut gear dogs? I understand K5s are hard on 3r gear. Undercutting that pair would certainly keep them together better. That is an obvious one tho. Maybe there are some Team Green secrets in there...
Motorcycles are my favorite people...

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2014, 10:18:45 AM »
Modified the third gear?

Undercut gear dogs? I understand K5s are hard on 3r gear.

yeah, sounds about right....there's a thread or two on here about undercutting.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline Twosmokerfan

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2014, 10:42:56 AM »
Hey mate,

I have a 93 engine and the best thing I ever did was change out the gear shifter to a later model one. Mine had the 11mm spline and I changed it to the 13 froma 2000 model. It allows more options with shifter changes as modern KX F use the 13mm. It is also hard to get alloy shifters for the 93 in my experience.

TSF

Offline brucifer

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2014, 11:44:00 AM »
Finally got around to pulling it the rest of the way apart. The frame, subframe and peg mount are going to the powdercoater.

This is probably going to be a drawn out process so bear with me.  :|

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2014, 03:45:17 PM »
I'm going on my 3rd year for my beer can build so don't feel bad.. :-o
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline brucifer

« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2014, 12:59:36 PM »

Thanks sandblaster but I've got you beat on the procrastinate scale. I started my '84 Honda XL600R project in 2007 and it's STILL not finished. lol. Hopefully the KX will be finished much sooner.  :-D

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2014, 04:52:11 PM »

Thanks sandblaster but I've got you beat on the procrastinate scale. I started my '84 Honda XL600R project in 2007 and it's STILL not finished. lol. Hopefully the KX will be finished much sooner.  :-D

:-D

Offline brucifer

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2015, 03:26:35 AM »
I knew it was going to take a while to build this thing but it's taking longer than even I had figured.  :lol:
I am working on four other bikes besides this one though, so time and money is spread extremely thin between them all. Doing it this way, it seems like I'm not making progress on ANY of them but I am--however incrementally.  :|

Frame pieces done and forks rebuilt.

Offline 81cr450

« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2015, 04:05:30 AM »
Yeah & I thought I needed to change my name to slow build. Been on a beer can cr5 & a kx5 steelie for 3 years simultaneously. Sucks cause I'm left with a 250 to ride & no big bore  :cry:.

That green looks sweet, you're getting there for sure powder coat on the frame always seems like the downward side as the new & shinny is a great motivator  :mrgreen:
if I only had a pair, I could actually ride this thing

& to the people I like  FYYFF