Author Topic: Shock Bracket Shim  (Read 2299 times)

Offline dmazz71

Shock Bracket Shim
« on: March 31, 2014, 03:27:50 AM »
Hello,

I'm in the process of putting the rear suspection back together (on a 03 KX500) and I'm looking to verify if the shock bracket shim goes between the bracket and tab on the frame or between the tab and the bolt? It was sitting on the bolt when I took it off, but I'm not sure if this is the first time it has been off of the bike.  I guess I got confused when I saw the part listed as a shim and not a washer.  That's what made me think it was in the wrong spot.  The schematic is a little confusing to me because it looks like it goes between the bracket and tab on the frame.

Thanks

« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 03:52:05 AM by dmazz71 »

Offline DoldGuy

Re: Shock Bracket Shim
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 06:22:34 AM »
dmazz,

No "Shims" on the shock, you just have the seals on either side. The only place the Shims would be, is on both sides of the "Dog Bones" on the linkage.

Hope this answers your question....

DoldGuy
Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!

Offline dmazz71

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 06:38:56 AM »
Hi,

It's actually the bracket that bolts to the frame.  The linkage is bolted to these brackets, which is then bolted to the bottom (the tabs that are welded to the crossmember) of the frame.  I will upload a picture.

Thanks

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 04:44:30 PM »
I know what brackets you're talking about. Every 500 I've taken the linkage off has them as washers between the bolt and bracket. Not to say that is the right way but I did try it between bracket and frame and it made it too tight for the shock to move freely. You could try it and see if it makes it too snug a fit or not.
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Offline dmazz71

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 05:04:29 AM »
Okay, thanks.  That's good enough for me.  I think having them between the bolt as a washer is the right way, I just wanted a second opinion.

Thanks