Author Topic: 00 KX125 total rebuild problems  (Read 2307 times)

Offline santafepilot

00 KX125 total rebuild problems
« on: April 01, 2014, 12:46:01 PM »
Hi guys, Great site you have here! Used it extensively while rebuilding a 00 kx125 for my girl. Thanks much!! Sadly have a couple of problems after redoing everything and can't seem to find the info. Help!

A bit of history first or just skip to the problem below if I go on too much. Picked it up a couple months ago as a basketcase, replaced all bearings (headset, wheel, linkage, swingarm) and f/r seals/bushings. Bottom end new mains, conrod, seals. Topend piston, resleeved, gaskets. Rebuilt the carb and rejetted for 7000' (152main, 3rd clip) with dual stage reeds, carb spacer, and longer pipe for bottom end. Bunch of go faster bits as well...

So anyway, fired up second kick (yay!) and heat cycled it 3 times over a few days. Idled great and have the air screw 1/2 turn out. So went to test ride it and pulled away like a banshee but at around 1/3 throttle it wouldn't spin up anymore, just flat in all gears. Didn't want to go over 1/2 throttle much during break-in (but did) and the mains just didn't kick in.

So long story short (haha), figured the power valve wasn't kicking in. I had the cylinder resleeved/sonic cleaned along with the power-valve and reassembled. Pulled the cover and here's where I'm confused... in the manual it shows the dot facing the front of the bike (but not sure if it's for reference?) and have read "facing front of cylinder" though that could be either way... bad news is the dot is facing towards the rear of the bike and I aligned it with the notch and valve moves easily but is it in backwards??? Any info on assembly would be greatly appreciated!

Also on the carb end to test the throttle sensor (could that be stopping the power jet from kicking in?) it calls for a variable rheostat to test but doesn't specify a range... sounds dumb but I suck a electrics. What is a "variable rheostat"? Can't seem to find out.

Thanks for any help!! SOOOO want to get rippin with my girl.

Offline clem

Re: 00 KX125 total rebuild problems
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 06:25:28 PM »
Did you figure out the valves? If not there is a video on you tube the guy explains the set up in pretty good detail. I did what he said on my 250 and it worked. If not I will post the link.