Author Topic: Kickstart spring  (Read 5703 times)

Offline gwcrim

• http://profiles.yahoo.com/gwcrim
Kickstart spring
« on: March 22, 2014, 07:12:08 AM »
I've been fortunate to have made it this far in life without a kickstart issue.  Of course, with this project it comes.  The clutch cover doesn't want to sit flat on the case.  Judging by the look of the cover, the spring needs to be just below the edge of the case.  Look at the pic and you can see that my spring isn't that low.  It sticks beyond the edge of the case by 1/4 inch or so.  Is this OK or what?

~Crim~
You raise the blade
You make the change
You rearrange me 'til I'm sane

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
Re: Kickstart spring
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 08:52:47 AM »
I want your clutch basket  :lol:
And no, something is messed up with that spring..
Post a pic looking straight at it.
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline gwcrim

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 09:36:52 AM »
I'll spare you (and me) the long story, but I bet ya a buck it's the wrong spring.

~Crim~
You raise the blade
You make the change

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2014, 09:44:14 AM »
I trade you a spring for that clutch basket  :-D
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 09:50:56 AM »
here's the spring out of my 500....notice where I've drawn the lines, mine is going downwards....
it could just be from tension, or like you said, you might have the wrong spring...but yours appears to be going up...

« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 09:52:32 AM by Foxx4Beaver »
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline gwcrim

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 02:02:16 PM »
Ya like my Hinson, do ya?   8-)

For the $20 it'll cost, a new spring is a safe bet.  I don't like the looks of mine.  There's definitely something not right about it.
~Crim~
You raise the blade
You make the change

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2014, 02:29:47 PM »
I've got a Hinson... I just want another so that I can gloat a little  :lol:

Offline don46

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2014, 02:50:25 AM »
sometimes the plastic insert pops out and the slot doesn't line up with the spring, so as a result it sticks up a bit and keeps the case from seating all the way. Curious, why would you say it's the spring? is it new? if not then it should fit the same as it did before removing the cover. I've also seen the shift shaft poped out due to the spring not allowing the case to seat firmly.
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Offline motopunk

• www.der-motopunk.de.tl
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2014, 05:10:08 AM »
sometimes the plastic insert pops out and the slot doesn't line up with the spring, so as a result it sticks up a bit and keeps the case from seating all the way. Curious, why would you say it's the spring? is it new? if not then it should fit the same as it did before removing the cover. I've also seen the shift shaft poped out due to the spring not allowing the case to seat firmly.

full agreed with don46.. i miss also the plastic insert on your pics .. this little peace of plastic lines up the spring where it has to be on the kickstartshaft ..  :wink:
big 2 stroke bikes are weapons for real men, who don´t fear death or devil. ;O)
´83 kx250, ´87 kx250 (with 360 big bore), 87 kx500, ´93 kx500 sfc

---  www.der-motopunk.de.tl  ---

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2014, 05:27:20 AM »
yeah that would be the guide/retainer don46 is referring to....I should have posted a pic of it when I posted the spring pic...my fault for not posting it to begin with.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 07:51:34 AM by Foxx4Beaver »
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2014, 06:28:04 AM »
Ah, you guys are right... I was so focused on the spring that I missed the plastic insert.

Offline motopunk

• www.der-motopunk.de.tl
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2014, 08:24:41 AM »
Ah, you guys are right... I was so focused on the spring that I missed the plastic insert.

nobody is perfect.. that is what us all together makes to the kx-experts-team...  one knows always, what the others had not thought off...  :wink:
big 2 stroke bikes are weapons for real men, who don´t fear death or devil. ;O)
´83 kx250, ´87 kx250 (with 360 big bore), 87 kx500, ´93 kx500 sfc

---  www.der-motopunk.de.tl  ---

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2014, 08:56:25 AM »
I was so focused on the spring that I missed the plastic insert.

ya know, the funny part...I had the retainer right in my hand when I grabbed the spring, and didn't even think of it :oops:...I gotta cut back on the mud-slides.

Offline gwcrim

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2014, 11:44:34 AM »
Got the new spring today and it took care of that situation.  The plastic sleeve is fine.  The clutch cover still doesn't want to sit down easily though.  Looks like the water pump bearings are toast.  Man.... I'm ordering a new engine one part at a time.
~Crim~
You raise the blade
You make the change