Author Topic: Tight countershaft  (Read 11717 times)

Offline yeomans

Re: Tight countershaft
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2014, 10:32:30 AM »
Okay, so I just got around to fitting up another left case off of my other 86.
Same issue countershaft is tight.
Now I am really scratching my head.

Offline motopunk

• www.der-motopunk.de.tl
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2014, 03:07:53 PM »
i read all the posts in this thread again. and now my question what year is the engine and what year the trans-shafts??

... 83-87 have a nut on the countershaft to fix the countersprocket ... 88-2004 a snapring and the 88 and newer transshafts wont never fit correctly to the older cases without machining and make the clamp-effect ... dont know why,because it looks so similar, like it would fit, but i tried it and does not work ... 88 have exactly same transmission like the 89 -2004, except the shorter second gear that was changed in 89..( i have the longer second gear installed in my 86 , because worn out and also discontinued and it works way better..  :-). )

maybe here sits the cat before the mouse-hole, that you have not the right countershaft to this engine..

1986kx500 transmission
http://www.cmsnl.com/kawasaki-1986-b2-kx500_model11966/partslist/B9.html#results

1988 the washer 92022, that you spoke off, is on the inputshaft not on the outputshaft, where´s your problem
http://www.cmsnl.com/kawasaki-1988-d1-kx500-north-america_model11968/partslist/E1361.html#results

1989-2004...
http://www.cmsnl.com/kawasaki-1989-e1-kx500-north-america_model11970/partslist/E1361.html#results

...as long you dont find the problem with wrong shafts you have to re-machine the welded areas to the oem-cases-measurements... thats now the 2 points, you have to watch out...  :wink:
big 2 stroke bikes are weapons for real men, who don´t fear death or devil. ;O)
´83 kx250, ´87 kx250 (with 360 big bore), 87 kx500, ´93 kx500 sfc

---  www.der-motopunk.de.tl  ---

Offline yeomans

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2014, 12:44:03 AM »
Thanks MP,
   The cases and trans are both from and 86. The countershaft has the nut for the sprocket.
   I have 2 1986 motors, so I have been playing around with fit of different countershafts and different case halves. Which frustrates me when a completely different case half locks the shaft as well.
   Still haven't tried using my other right case yet because I hadn't had any welding done there, but that might be a place to check as well.
   I just replaced all the bearings with new oem parts except the crank bearings which were from Wiseco, but they still say Koyo with the same numbers printed on the bearing as what came stock, and new seals. Yesterday I rechecked all the bearings as well.

Offline Rick james

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2014, 03:00:38 AM »
Just to throw my .02 in here, mine was running before I tried this and I've got the same issue. The guy I talked to about rebuilding my bottom end thinks it's a bad bearing that's causing it to lock up.

Offline motopunk

• www.der-motopunk.de.tl
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2014, 05:14:05 AM »
Thanks MP,
   The cases and trans are both from and 86. The countershaft has the nut for the sprocket.
   I have 2 1986 motors, so I have been playing around with fit of different countershafts and different case halves. Which frustrates me when a completely different case half locks the shaft as well.
   Still haven't tried using my other right case yet because I hadn't had any welding done there, but that might be a place to check as well.
   I just replaced all the bearings with new oem parts except the crank bearings which were from Wiseco, but they still say Koyo with the same numbers printed on the bearing as what came stock, and new seals. Yesterday I rechecked all the bearings as well.

thats just for headscratching...  measurements of the bearings are worldwide the same norm, so it normally must fit together like before the disassembeling...it is possible, that the big bearing on the left side is a little bit wider and takes the space that the output shaft needs between the cases.. (just a thought)   so it must be the shaft the problem, if the bearings and seals are installed correctly ..
 do you tried to install the transmission only, without the crank? so you can check also with only input-shaft or only outputshaft between the cases, where the problem is sitting directly... little ko-system...  :wink:
you´re to far away for practical help, if i could see it directly before my eyes , i could help better.

Offline yeomans

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2014, 08:41:56 AM »
MP,
Thanks for all your suggestions.
It had crossed my mind to about one of the bearings being slightly larger.
Will try without the crank so I can knock that of the list as well.

Offline motopunk

• www.der-motopunk.de.tl
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2014, 02:02:24 PM »
MP,
Thanks for all your suggestions.
It had crossed my mind to about one of the bearings being slightly larger.
Will try without the crank so I can knock that of the list as well.

much luck .. and let us know, what was the problem at least...  :wink:

Offline yeomans

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2014, 12:41:30 AM »
Still coming back to the countershaft bearing.
Tried cases without the crank, still to snug.
Tried without shift drum, same result.
Tried without main shaft same thing.
I've heated and re driven this bearing in attempt to make sure it was properly seated. But through process of elimination I keep coming back to this.
Might need to pop the bearing out, order a nos bearing and see my friend with his hydraulic press.

Offline DoldGuy

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2014, 01:36:24 AM »
I've heated and re driven this bearing in attempt to make sure it was properly seated. But through process of elimination I keep coming back to this.
Might need to pop the bearing out, order a nos bearing and see my friend with his hydraulic press.

Will the cases "Seat" with the bearing removed?
Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!

Offline yeomans

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2014, 02:01:50 AM »

Will the cases "Seat" with the bearing removed?

I'll have to give that a try as well.

Offline tobys 2 strokes

• My #2 son
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2014, 05:41:20 AM »
I have had the  steel sleave in the clutch side case move . if its not all the way seated it will tighten up the out put shaft ( you are working on the out put right ? ) I have had to remove and sand the shoulder on it before when I have lapped the cases to far thats how I get the clearance lost from taking to much off the cases. if not it will tighten the out put up to much.

Offline yeomans

« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2014, 10:26:08 PM »
First gear on the countershaft was on backwards.
It had fallen off the shaft 2 years ago when I pulled the parts out of the box they came in.
Never thought anything of it until I went to replace with new snap rings. I was lucky to be able to compare it to another 86 trans and pick up the difference.
Thanks for everyones suggestions, this almost drove me mad.
I'll get some pics of the build up soon. :-)