Author Topic: Desert Handguards  (Read 2738 times)

Offline CK969

Desert Handguards
« on: February 08, 2014, 12:54:05 AM »
I own and race a 2004 KX250.

At my last race, in Arizona, I went down on some hard pack at pretty good speed. When I hit, my right side handguard frame snapped.  I had to rip it off and throw it away, into the desert, to keep racing. They were Acerbis Multi Concept X-Pro Handguards, with the large shields, for 7/8 bars.

Most of my teammates and friends are switching to KTM's, and are running Cycra - Pro-Bend Center Reach Clamp. I think they look sharp, so I decided to buy a pair.

The frame bar, on the brake side doesn't have clearance for my brake line, or the nut head where it attaches to the brake housing. I tried the spacer, and no luck. It looks as if the bend in the frame is not made to fit my bike.

Before I try to recoup my losses, and/or eat the high cost, does anyone know of a way to get these to fit my bars?

And if not, is Acerbis my only option, or does anyone else run a different brand.

Thank you.
CK969

Offline DoldGuy

Re: Desert Handguards
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 01:45:39 AM »
Just a quick option, switch to a Honda master cylinder as the Banjo Bolt is on the back side & should offer the clearance needed. I have recently looked into some of the better built hand/brush guards & the cost of these are far more expensive than the cost of picking up the Honda M/C.

Hope this helps,

DoldGuy
Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!

Offline alward25

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 02:32:54 AM »
Highway Dirtbikes make all other brands look like cheap crap.  After messing with all the other brands I don't have much of a desire to run anything else.  I need something that is not just for looks.
"Let there be light"

Offline KevinTwoStk

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 07:51:20 AM »
If you can't get the Cycra guards to work, there's at least one other system that's worth looking into.

G2 Ergonomics has a handguard system that anchors the inner mount to the upper triple clamp's pinch bolts. It's called the Mongo. At the outer end of the handlebar, the Mongo anchors into a threaded insert. If you sometimes ride without the handguards you can use G2's machined aluminum grip protectors on the outer end of the handlebars instead of leaving them open.

I haven't used the Mongo, but I do have a G2 quick-turn throttle system, and G2's grip protectors. The quality is excellent and the customer service is top-notch.

www.g2ergo.com

Offline alward25

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 10:13:03 AM »
"Let there be light"