Author Topic: stripped drain plug  (Read 2624 times)

Offline ebers17

• RaceShotz Photography and WNY Harescramble Forum
stripped drain plug
« on: January 02, 2005, 01:26:24 PM »
Wondering if there are any tips or tricks for my drain plug that is stripped out, without having to re-tap the threads inside?
MSR, Steel MX Optics, FCR Suspension, MotoOption, Budget Racing, Bulmans Cycle Center, RaceShotz.net

kawdude

stripped drain plug
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2005, 02:06:18 PM »
Mines stripped too.  I corrected with a thread kit.  I don't remember what size.

mikesmith

stripped drain plug
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2005, 09:28:57 PM »
After you helicoil it or whatever way you fix it use a Moose magnetic drain plug with neverseize on the threads and they predrilled for you to safety wire it to the frame,just be carefull when you tighten it to just snug it.

Offline KXcam22

stripped drain plug
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2005, 03:59:27 AM »
I was lucky. Simply put the bike on it's side, tapped (use grease to grab as much metal shavings as you can) put in a helicoil (with a bunch of 271 loctite), modified a bolt to fit (was a mirror extender - my helicoil kit only had a 1.0mm thread) and drained some cheap oil through it to grab any filings. Wasn't even late for my ride.  Serves me right for being a torque monster with the wrenches. Now I use a dab of blue loctite, safety wire and minor torque on the bolt.  Would be nice to have the magnetic plug but now I have a weird sized thread. Cam.

Rick

stripped drain plug
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2005, 03:02:06 AM »
You guys wouldn't have this problem if you would just stop changing your oil... :wink:

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
stripped drain plug
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2005, 10:38:08 AM »
Quote from: Rick
You guys wouldn't have this problem if you would just stop changing your oil... :wink:

:shock:

Offline ebers17

• RaceShotz Photography and WNY Harescramble Forum
stripped drain plug
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2005, 12:19:26 PM »
Silly me changing the oil!  Thanks, the help was great though, i hoisted it up and re-tapped it and then put a heli-coil and then the bolt i put through i had drilled out so i'm able to saftey wire it.  No problems yet with it!!

Seth
MSR, Steel MX Optics, FCR Suspension, MotoOption, Budget Racing, Bulmans Cycle Center, RaceShotz.net

Woody223

stripped drain plug
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2005, 12:24:09 PM »
When I bought my 1990 it was a mess. Blown topend, seized bottom end, bad seals in the suspension, and of course a stripped drain plug.

Since I was cracking the case I went ahead and tapped the whole to a larger size and installed a Sure Drain from FRAM, for a Chevy 350. If  you haven't seen the sure drain it is is drain plug which actually stays in the drain plug hole. It has a cap which is removed and another cap with a hose on it to drain the motor.  It as rather slow draining but there is little chance of stripping the drain plug as you do not remove it.

I had my case apart so I made sure that the plug was flush with the inside bottom of the case.  Also it sticks down from the bottom of the case about and inch so I made a skid plate to protect it.  It did not actually protrude from the bottom of the frame rails but I wanted to make sure that if I ever cased it hard I would not rip it off.

Woody223

Rowdy-Yates

stripped drain plug
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2005, 05:29:54 PM »
LOL I just saw this drain plug at OSH the other nite. I was thinking about using this when mine strips out.