Author Topic: Bearing Removal  (Read 2901 times)

Offline cmotodad

Bearing Removal
« on: February 07, 2014, 02:18:24 PM »
I need to replace the bearing on the clutch cover for the PV governor. Tried heat and it did not drop out. Any ideas? Thanks, Bob

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
Re: Bearing Removal
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 04:55:00 PM »
Blind hole bearing puller. I have rented them from the local auto parts store. Don't heat the cover too much or you could warp it and cause an oil leak when you put it back together.
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Offline cmotodad

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 05:03:03 PM »
I went with light heat and a small tap with a plastic tipped hammer. No movement. Will look a for a blind bearing remover. Thanks, Bob

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 03:16:31 AM »
Like this

http://www.oem-cycle.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=64&p=88&hilit=BLIND+BEARING#p88

nicely written as usual!....but is that price you have listed for the puller still good?...I'm only asking because Motion Pro's site is saying $271.99 :?
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline Pmcg

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2014, 03:27:06 AM »
I got a crappy one off of eBay for 35.00. It works great the only bearing I couldn't get was the clutch actuator because it was too deep down in the case.

Offline alward25

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2014, 03:27:49 AM »
Harbor Freight has one just like it, probably made in the same place for way cheaper. Like $50 or less and we know who has one the get the lower clutch bearing  :-D right PMCG :wink:
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 03:29:57 AM by alward25 »
"Let there be light"

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2014, 03:29:18 AM »
I got a crappy one off of eBay for 35.00. It works great the only bearing I couldn't get was the clutch actuator because it was too deep down in the case.

I think Alward25 has the set-up for the acuator :wink:

Harbor Freight has one just like it, probably made in the same place for way cheaper. Like $50

cool, thanks Alex...I'll check them out.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2014, 03:46:15 AM »
Cool...thanks guys, I'll take a look on e-bay...and yes, Alex, you're right about Harbor...they have one that's a couple bucks more than you thought, but still WAY cheaper than Motion Pro.
And for someone such as myself that would only use it 1-2 times a year, would be the better choice.

http://www.harborfreight.com/blind-hole-bearing-puller-95987.html 

Offline Pmcg

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2014, 09:08:53 AM »
Harbor Freight has one just like it, probably made in the same place for way cheaper. Like $50 or less and we know who has one the get the lower clutch bearing  :-D right PMCG :wink:

Absolutely. I'm waiting for the appropriate amount of time to pass so I can borrow it again.  I "may" have driven the new bearing in a little to aggressively. Ill know for sure once I get it running.

Offline alward25

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2014, 10:03:25 AM »

Absolutely. I'm waiting for the appropriate amount of time to pass so I can borrow it again.  I "may" have driven the new bearing in a little to aggressively. Ill know for sure once I get it running.

Anytime, u let me know!!!
"Let there be light"

Offline Pmcg

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2014, 10:27:24 AM »

Anytime, u let me know!!!
Hopefully you'll be sending me an ignition before a puller. eBay needs to pick back up.