Author Topic: Best low end-mid pipe for 98 kx250  (Read 35547 times)

Offline dirk_411

Re: Best low end-mid pipe for 98 kx250
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2014, 05:41:58 AM »
Me too.  4 feet of snow and -20ºc.  Any R&D im doing will be online and in my basement,  till april or so

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2014, 06:17:34 AM »
Good info. Now I want to play around with my 500 and kdx governor. I'm in the same boat as Fox with a ton of snow on the ground and really cold temps.

glad to see I'm not the only one in the frozen tundra :-D...

Me too.  4 feet of snow and -20ºc.  Any R&D im doing will be online and in my basement,  till april or so

4 feet!!...d**n, I thought I had a lot at 20ish inches...although we're expecting another 4"-6" tomorrow :x
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2014, 06:25:30 AM »
Same here man. 

The Tecate 4 governor spring is used and is measured removed from the mechanism.

Height 24.05mm 
Width 25.30mm

Washers/bearings measured around 27.97mm

Stainless steel balls I believe are 5/16"

Would I be correct in saying the weight of balls and the rate of the spring effectively determine when the power valves operate?  If you went to heavier SS balls and a softer spring basically your PV's would operate at a lesser RPM? OR lighter SS balls and heavier spring rate they would operate at a higher RPM?  Am I correct?

If anyone can throw the kx250 and the kx500 measurements at me that would be great.  Include year and model

I just scoured through my 250 Kawie manual hoping to find some specs on the governor parts...but nothing at all...just pics...and the same with my 500 manual, nothing but pics.
Not sure if a Clymer would give any specs...otherwise I'll have to wait and see if anyone else has any extras floating around to get measurements. :|
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline dirk_411

« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2014, 06:35:53 AM »
I doubt you will find any specs via manuals.  I Just bought a 99 gov mechanism $20 total shipped into Canada.   I should know whats happening in the next week and a half

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2014, 06:50:07 AM »
if I get the chance before Friday, I'll swing over to my Kawie dealer and see if he can order an entire new governor...even if it has to be done all in parts/pieces.

Offline dirk_411

« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2014, 07:19:57 AM »
If you wanna pay shipping I can send the complete tecate 4 set up.  Appears to be similar to the late 80's to mid 90's kx250's.  5/16" SS balls. Im really interested to see if the tecate 4's cup and ramp pieces are a direct swap to the kx ones.  I see the tecate 3's or atleast a few model years use the 3/8" ball too

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2014, 07:34:57 AM »
let me see if I can get over to my dealer 1st, because after Friday, I'm gonna be laid up for 3-4 weeks from "big" surgery on re-occurring hernia...pretty much the whole front of me is getting sliced open, and getting a big piece of mesh laid into place, after they yank all the muscle back into place :x ....needless to say, I'm not gonna be able to do much of anything, besides take pain pills and drink :|
but after I've recovered, I'll definitely cover the shipping if you wanna send me the parts for comparison.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2014, 08:55:26 AM »
I'm gonna be laid up for 3-4 weeks from "big" surgery on re-occurring hernia...pretty much the whole front of me is getting sliced open, and getting a big piece of mesh laid into place, after they yank all the muscle back into place :x

Cool!
Have a nurse snap a few pics and post them for us  :-D

And, hope everything gets back to normal soon..
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2014, 09:09:43 AM »
Thanks...
I'm not looking forward to it at all...my doc warned me that going this route is going to be very painful, but there would only be a 5% chance of it re-occurring again...versus an 80% chance of it re-occurring again if he just fixed the immediate problem area....so it was kind of a no brainer which way to go...I'll be in the hospital either side of 3 days.

I'll take a pic of the scar once I can remove the bandages, which will probably be pretty long...but I don't do well with blood and guts...especially when it's my own :-(

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2014, 09:15:35 AM »
I doubt you will find any specs via manuals.  I Just bought a 99 gov mechanism $20 total shipped into Canada.   I should know whats happening in the next week and a half

now that you mention it, there are no part #s for any pieces of the governor in the manuals or on line...so, I'm wondering if it's even possible for us to buy new...I'll definitely swing over to my Kawie dealer tomorrow and find out.

Offline dirk_411

« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2014, 10:39:52 AM »
Go to buykawasaki.com and view parts diagrams. They have got part numbers for everything.  Just a matter of what's available.   The bearings and washers will be available.   It will be stuff like the shaft,  cup and ramp that probally wont be available for a lot of older machines.   But you nevef know it could be current yet

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2014, 10:43:00 AM »
Just looked in my clymer manual. It has a parts diagram but i couldn't find part numbers anywhere. I'll call around and see where I can find springs other than the kawi dealer. Speed shops should have an assortment of springs, washers, bushings ect.
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2014, 11:19:10 AM »
ok, I found everything. The COMPLETE governor piece by piece goes for $192...that's through Rocky Mountain...I should be able to get it closer to $150 with my discount at my Kawie dealer.

That's for my 2000 L2 250.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 11:35:16 AM by Foxx4Beaver »

Offline dirk_411

« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2014, 11:59:58 AM »
Should really check out ebay
  You could buy 10 for that price. In reality you actually could buy probally 5 different set ups from specific models and be covered with most parts to use in tests.  It doesnt appear as though there is dozens of combinations.   When you start looking at the mechanisms that use either 5/16" or 3/8" SS balls and cross reference those parts (cup, shaft, ramp and balls) it shows a lot of models and makes of kawasaki power sports use the same parts,  more so the 3/8".  Thats why I say if you did a little research you could likely narrow it down to about 5 different mechanisms and have yourself covered.  I think for myself its going to be quick and painless.  If the parts swap out then its a matter of me upgrading to the 3/8" hardware and matching spring.  That in it's self should be noticeable.   Im not sure if going larger than 3/8 SS balls is even possible without enlarging the ramp.  The other thing is what other metal balls could you use to increase or decrease weight? I like stainless because of its anti corrosion properties. I read if your spring rate is to stiff you nullify the PV's

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2014, 12:06:47 PM »
I hear ya...I just wanted an idea of what it would cost new....I'm not gonna do anything until after my hospital visit, then I may decide to buy one complete new set-up and pick up a few off e-bay as well.

Can you get BBs in different sizes?...I wonder if they would have the density/weight...or if they're made out of metal strong enough.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 12:12:13 PM by Foxx4Beaver »