Author Topic: TMX carb question  (Read 7109 times)

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
Re: TMX carb question
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2014, 09:39:39 AM »
If it's the clutch side crank seal your oil level will slowly drop depending how long you ride it. It will always run rich if it's bad. Mag side will suck air and run lean and potentially seize the piston. Seals get pressed in from inside so the crank and bearings have to come out. If this is the issue I would replace the bearings as well since you have to remove them anyway.

I'm very picky when it comes to my engines. If it's needing a rebuild I generally pull the entire engine apart and inspect everything and replace crank bearings and seals at least once every other rebuild. Sometimes more. I don't like breaking down as most of my riding is 2+ hours from home and ya always break down far away from the truck. I take better care of my bikes than I do myself :P
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Offline onetwofiver

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2014, 12:51:57 PM »
Thanks for the advice. The oil level has stayed the same so maybe it's not too bad. I agree if I need to get into the bottom end may as well replace what needs replacing while in there. 

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2014, 11:26:43 PM »
Thanks for the advice. The oil level has stayed the same so maybe it's not too bad. I agree if I need to get into the bottom end may as well replace what needs replacing while in there. 

It can be expensive...but like Goat said, if you need to open up the bottom, just replace everything whether it needs it or not....there's nothing worse than having a failure because you assumed a bearing was "ok", or that seal is "good enough" , or the snap rings seem "ok"....trust me, been there and it sucks. There's really no sense just replacing a couple bearings, because now you'll have old ones that will need replacing sooner than the new ones, which means splitting the cases AGAIN....it's better to keep everything uniformly new.
And it really gives you "peace of mind" knowing that your bottom end is new.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ