Author Topic: TMX carb question  (Read 7110 times)

Offline onetwofiver

TMX carb question
« on: January 23, 2014, 11:35:52 AM »
My 02' kx125 has the TMX carb and has been running fine since August. Trail riding but plenty of wot also. Now it's fouling plugs all of sudden with 32:1. Today tried new plug and 40:1 and still the same thing. I'm planning on trying a smaller pilot jet. Pulled carb today and bowl is clean. Tomorrow will get into it more.

Another question: What are signs of worn reed valves?

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
Re: TMX carb question
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 01:07:59 PM »
I wouldn't touch your jetting till you inspect your reeds.
Taking the reeds out and looking for gaps in the reed petals to the reed body is one easy way to see if they are worn.
Gaps are bad.
Still, you can have reeds that are worn out and they look ok.
A quick test is to remove your air filter and start your bike.
Put your hand at the intake opening of the air box and rev the motor.
If you can feel air blowing back out of the carb replace your reeds.
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline onetwofiver

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 01:35:00 PM »
Thanks.
Something else, it will start, run good then bog and die within about 20 seconds. Bowl had plenty of gas in it. I'm gonna check the pilot jet, maybe it's half clogged? Then the reeds. Then ......

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 01:53:23 PM »
Float height.
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline onetwofiver

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 03:01:27 PM »
That is on my list too.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 11:05:48 PM »
these are the key words...

fouling plugs all of sudden

Like Sandblaster said...don't touch the jetting until you check the reeds. Jetting won't suddenly change unless...your needle broke...or your main or pilot jet backed out and fell out...your filter is disgusting... or you sucked dirt, but this usually won't cause plug fouling as it's restricting fuel flow.
Out of curiosity, what does the plug look like when it fouls out?
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline onetwofiver

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 12:42:34 AM »
Filter is clean/oiled. Jets are in tight, plug looks fouled/black and wet. 

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 01:22:25 AM »
worst case scenario...you could have an electrical problem, which could be as simple as a bad plug cap, to as bad as a junk stator....but that's the last thing you want to think about. :x
Is there a specific RPM range that it's fouling plugs?

Start with Sandblasters suggestions 1st though before getting into anything else.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline onetwofiver

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2014, 02:02:36 AM »
Plug cap was replaced a few months ago because the old one had a slight tear.  It's fouling at about 1/2 throttle. I need to find the float height setting. Should it be the same as a stock carb?

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2014, 02:07:47 AM »
I need to find the float height setting. Should it be the same as a stock carb?

I'm not 100% sure on that...let Sandblaster chime back in, he should be able to answer that better than I can...since he eats, sleeps, and s**ts dirtbikes :-D

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2014, 02:58:10 AM »
Have you ever pooped out a dirt bike?
It's not pretty....
Here's a link on How to adjust your float bowl:

http://www.oem-cycle.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=586

I don't have the height for your carb memorized but before you fiddle with that, check your reed first...

Just out of curiosity, did your bike start smoking after you cleaned or replaced your air filter?
If so there is a good chance that you used to much oil on the filter and your restricting the air flow....

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2014, 07:07:14 AM »
Have you ever pooped out a dirt bike?

I haven't...but I'd sure love to be able to poop out a new cylinder/top-end from time to time. :wink:

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2014, 07:22:37 AM »
Hows the trans oil level? I would check float height, reeds, needle, slide, and do a leak down test. If it just started acting up out of no where I would almost put money on clutch side crank seal sucking trans oil. Check the easy stuff first.
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Offline onetwofiver

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2014, 11:14:29 AM »
OK, It's running again but not the way it should yet. I did change the trans oil just to look at it and smell it. It was still normal. Refilled with new 30w oil. It had 15/40 rotella .

Here's what we have.....

I cleaned the pilot jet, size 45. Maybe I need to go smaller? It was slightly clogged with dirt maybe.. So I guess the main jet was sucking too much gas to make up for it.
Now, it starts right up and runs good wot but will cut/bog then back to normal. Will check the plug tomorrow.
 Now I'm thinking it needs reeds?

Goat:
Hope it's not a clutch side crank seal.  Does that require a bottom end rebuild? Any other symptoms for that?     

Offline onetwofiver

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2014, 12:28:35 PM »
Hey, maybe I need to repack the exhaust ?