Author Topic: No bottom end power  (Read 7648 times)

Offline fredunderwood

No bottom end power
« on: January 04, 2014, 01:29:21 PM »
Ok....so you all were incredibly helpful in getting my k5 started....I was pulling my hair out!!!!!

So, I took it for a ride today....now bear with me as this is my first k5...so I hit it kind of expecting the front end to go vertical, but.....it didn't.    And it doesn't feel particularly fast, in fact, my kx250f feels faster!

So something must be amiss!!!!   So here are the deets:

Cleaned the carb....I mean really cleaned it took it all apart, carb cleaner, air blown.    Carb settings:
Clip 3rd position
170 mj
48 pj
1 1/2 air screw

All electrical checked to spec

Compression.....out the yingyang.....I can stand on the kicker and it won't kick over

New piston, rings, gaskets.

New fuel, mixed 42:1 bel ray

Gearing. 14t front; 48t rear

Ideas?

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
Re: No bottom end power
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 02:01:47 PM »
possibly the KIPS aren't working...or the KIPS timing is off. Pull the little plastic cover off the right front of the cylinder, rev it up and see if they open. If that checks out, pull the pipe off and visually look at the valves and make sure they're both evenly open/closed.

your pilot jet sounds awfully lean too....to be on the safe side, you should go up to a 55pj at the least and then see how it runs....you can always drop or gain a size later once your in a safer/richer zone.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 02:08:35 PM by Foxx4Beaver »
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline alward25

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 02:14:49 PM »
+1 on the 55 pilot jet
"Let there be light"

Offline fredunderwood

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 03:23:22 PM »
I should mention too....when I was having my starting problem, after I fixed everything, it still wouldn't start with the choke......just by happenstance, the way I got the bike running was to hold the throttle open and kick.....fired up first time.

So I did order some pjs from jetsrus....a 65, 60 and 55

Offline fredunderwood

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 03:26:26 PM »
On the PV....when the bike is not running.....should the PC rod be pushed all the way in, or all the way out????

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 03:29:55 PM »
On the PV....when the bike is not running.....should the PC rod be pushed all the way in, or all the way out????

it should be in.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline motopunk

• www.der-motopunk.de.tl
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 05:25:26 AM »
and here is a look in a similar 250 cylinder its just the same mechanic ..
1. rod is in = valves are fully closed

2. rod is pulled out = valves are full open

maybe your k5-exhaust valves overrotate a little bit, so that they not fully closed in low rpm and that could be the problem ...
big 2 stroke bikes are weapons for real men, who don´t fear death or devil. ;O)
´83 kx250, ´87 kx250 (with 360 big bore), 87 kx500, ´93 kx500 sfc

---  www.der-motopunk.de.tl  ---

Offline fredunderwood

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2014, 09:09:19 AM »
I took off the PC cover and the valve was open.  Valve rod moves freely, the actuator arm is a little stiff on the open and close action....so I push the PC rod all the way in and it dawned on me...is the actuator arm all the way up?   =PC closed?   Because you can open up the PC actuator and reinstall the arm on a closed Pv.   In this case, the Pv will not open.....so enough of my diatribe....so i pushed the Pv rod all the way in, made sure the actuator was in the closed position and reinstalled the actuator arm......fired it up, and when idling the PC is in, rec it up and the Pv comes out......yeah!!!!! I know my Pv is working.....bottom end power improved pretty remarkably, bit feels a bit sluggish still.

I increased the pj to 65.   Might be a bit too big, cause it has a hard time clearing out.   So I guess I'm still looking for answers.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2014, 09:14:44 AM »
try dropping down to 60pj, that should make a difference....but don't be surprised if have to drop another size if the 60 doesn't clear it up....you might end up at a 58 or a 55.

Motorrad

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2014, 09:19:59 AM »
55. 168.  1.5 turn.  Middle clip.  N82m needle

CHECK YOUR FLOAT HIGHT

Only use genuine kehin jets

.024" gap on a fine wire type plug noon resistor.  So b8eg for example

Clock your spark plug. (sandblasters spidy scenses should be tingling, somthing Ive never mentioned to him)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 09:48:39 AM by Motorrad »

Offline fredunderwood

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2014, 03:27:43 PM »
Thanks moto!   I'll give it a shot....hadn't thought to check my float height......why only genuine Kehin jets?   I bought some aftermarket pjs that are in there now.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2014, 03:39:25 PM »
55. 168.  1.5 turn.  Middle clip.  N82m needle

CHECK YOUR FLOAT HIGHT

Only use genuine kehin jets

.024" gap on a fine wire type plug noon resistor.  So b8eg for example

Clock your spark plug. (sandblasters spidy scenses should be tingling, somthing Ive never mentioned to him)

I could feel a disturbance in the force.....
At what position should the plug be clocked to?
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline fredunderwood

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2014, 05:40:52 AM »
Half past 1!!!! :-D

Offline whitedog

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2014, 02:41:14 AM »
For what it's worth.... Your situation sounds very similar to mine,when I first got my K5.
I just knew for sure that I was going to spank the KX on my CR 250. But the KX handed me my ass. My front end would not come up much either but the tire was marginal at the most.
Could not get it started – only the way you are describing. I blame that on operator error, because my buddy who is heavier than me, can start it first kick.
I have come to accept that, it is a totally different animal. I dosent rev like a 250- therefore it gives the feeling of being slugush... But it spins, in the dirt, and on the street.
I would have not believed it, unless I had seen it with my eyes. Three long knobby black marks on the road where it went through the first three gears.
Can't wait to get mine all back together , with a new tire, and a few minor engine mods.
Owner of a Johnny Cash K5  "Well... its an 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90..."
Thanks Floyd... thanks for NOTHIN' !"

Offline fredunderwood

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2014, 05:33:11 AM »
Really?   All I'd been reading on the KX500 power plant.   I thought this would scare the living daylights out of me.....but so far, not so much....maybe I should go apply for the triple testosterone Man Card!