Author Topic: swingarm r&r  (Read 2777 times)

Offline gwcrim

• http://profiles.yahoo.com/gwcrim
swingarm r&r
« on: January 13, 2005, 11:44:28 AM »
I have the swingarm off my '89 for general maintenance.  What all do I need to inspect/replace?
~Crim~
You raise the blade
You make the change
You rearrange me 'til I'm sane

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
swingarm r&r
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2005, 11:48:00 AM »
Just a couple of months ago I had my 87 model swingarm off and replaced all the lower link bearings and swing arm bearings. I would inspect the bearings and seal really good. If they are good I would re-grease everything. Good time to check lower shock bearing.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline KXcam22

swingarm r&r
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2005, 02:24:42 PM »
gwcrim,
   Besides the obvious wear stuff, look closely at the needle bearing surfaces.  It they run out of lube they quit rolling and wear a flat spot on the one side. If they are shiny it's hard to tell the are flatsided without looking very closely. Cam.

crazyryan

swingarm r&r
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2005, 06:23:56 PM »
gwcrim, Do yourself a favor and just replace all the races and bearings. It costs about $100.00   By the way, I have 99' KX5 with a custom fabricated swingarm made 12'' over.  I hillclimb, but with all you KX5'ers out there, does anyone want to buy a swingarm?  One piece of course, no cheap ass bolt on extensions.  I purchased about $200 in aluminum, $100 in bearings, and paid $400 for it to be made.  If anyone wants one made to your lenght, write me back at crazyryan.  I've skied off of hills, jumped it and riden over  110 m.p.h. on mine.  It's made of 6061, it's still straight and strong.  Even after a 10 ft. leap only to land on flat ground.  I know alot of you guys out there are riding stockers, maybe with some pretty stickers.  But if anyone in this site climbs hard or is just plan tried of flippin over, just say something.

mikesmith

swingarm r&r
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2005, 09:41:29 PM »
Nope,just "pretty stickers" here. :wink:But I would like to hear more about your bike and see some pictures.Your are first hill climber,which is kind of surprising.

Offline demographic

swingarm r&r
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2005, 09:13:58 AM »
Quote from: crazyryan
I know alot of you guys out there are riding stockers, maybe with some pretty stickers.

Yep, bog standard :( , just the way it came from the factory.

One day I might make it unique but till then........

:wink:

crazyryan

swingarm r&r
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2005, 12:20:01 PM »
I owe you guys an apology for my rude suggestions.  When I first found this site, I had a hard time figuring it out.  A stock KX5 is still my favorite production 2 stroke. Nice pic's demographic. I need to get my hands on a digital camera, I'll show ya a hillclimber.

mikesmith

swingarm r&r
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2005, 09:48:40 PM »
You must be a pretty good guy,not to many people can apologize these days.Cant wait to see the Hill Climber pictures!Never been to one,only seen it on T.V.,but it looks like a lot of fun!