Author Topic: kx500 head studs  (Read 7496 times)

Offline jBernard

kx500 head studs
« on: January 01, 2014, 02:06:32 PM »
I ended up pulling the stock cylinder studs out of the cases, they looked pretty horrible. Planning on getting some Ti head studs so no more corrosion problems ever again.
When the cylinder came off i was surprised to see the main studs were waisted:

is there any reasoning behind this?  I cant think of why they did it. looked like harder to machine due to thinner material, and not any real weight reduction.
I plan on going back with a non-waisted normal stud unless there is a need for it to be waisted.

EDIT:

and while i'm at it, what would be wrong if on the cylinder to head fasteners I used normal hex head bolts like they do on the ktm. Only downfall of this i can think of is that if you strip these bolts then youre going to be repairing/replacing a head. But really how often will i be taking the head off?

let me know what yall think
thanks
taylor
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 02:39:51 PM by jBernard »
'09 KX500AF - never ending project
'14 KTM 300SX

Offline kxpegger

Re: kx500 head studs
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 03:13:07 PM »
Torque Efficiency

During engine assembly or maintenance, a bolt must be installed by torqueing it into place. Due to the head bolt’s design, it has to be rotated into its slot in order to engage the threads and secure it into place. This process creates both twisting force and a vertical clamping force, which means that when the cylinders within the engine’s combustion chamber begin accumulating load, the bolt will both stretch and twist. Because the bolt has to react to two different forces simultaneously, its capacity to secure the head is slightly reduced and it forms a less reliable seal in high-powered engines.

By contrast, a head stud can be tightened into place without any direct clamping force applied through the tightening. A stud can be threaded into a slot up to “finger tightness,” or the degree to which it would be tightened by hand. Afterward, the cylinder head is installed and a nut is torqued into place against the stud. The nut torque provides the clamping force, rather than the torque of the fastener itself, and the rotational force is avoided entirely. Because the stud is torqued from a relaxed state, the pressure from the nut will make it stretch only along the vertical axis without a concurrent twisting load. The result is a more evenly distributed and accurate torque load compared to that of the head bolt. This ultimately translates into higher reliability and a lower chance of head gasket failure.
North Las Vegas

"05" RMZ450, "08" KX500AF "11" KTM 450SX-F "12" KTM 250SX "15" KTM450SX-F

Offline jBernard

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 03:47:19 PM »
badass response. thank you.

studs it is then!
'14 KTM 300SX

Offline dave916

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 10:09:04 PM »
badass response. thank you.

studs it is then!

copy and paste http://www.thomasnet.com/articles/hardware/head-stud-bolts :-D
it dosent really answer your question on the cylinder studs {gussing to allow a bit of side flex while still allowing thread strenth}
The likehood  of damageing the alloy head stud threads by using head bolts would be huge
Even engines thats use stretch bolts{use once} still end up damageing the alloy block threads {dont buy certain BMWs with head gasket problems

The big advantage of head bolts would be easier removal of head /barrel if overhead clearance was a issue  {maybe thats why ktm use them}

« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 05:06:52 AM by dave916 »

Offline jBernard

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 10:06:23 AM »
 :-D
ha. was helpful post nonetheless!

on the case studs, i can see where .020-.050 would help on any twisting, but these things are rattling around, there is so much free play. its like the head could turn 10* with that much slack. very odd.
'14 KTM 300SX