Author Topic: Worn footpeg brackets that are part of the frame. R&R?  (Read 3935 times)

Offline queen of spodes

Worn footpeg brackets that are part of the frame. R&R?
« on: January 01, 2014, 12:07:48 AM »
So the 1989 KX125 I bought yesterday is in rough shape.  Looks like I have a line on some replacement parts, but one thing I am unsure how to address is the right side footpeg mount.  It is part of the frame, not a removable mount.   

What's the procedure for repairing/restoring these mounts? 

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
Re: Worn footpeg brackets that are part of the frame. R&R?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 12:47:35 AM »
I've heard of guys building up the surfaces with welding, and file the surface smooth after.
I myself have never had a bike long enough to run into this problem...but I also keep fresh pins and springs in mine which helps with slowing down the ware to a small extent....and I also can't stand the noise from loose sloppy foot pegs.   
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline alward25

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 02:57:25 AM »
You could make a new one and weld it on

"Let there be light"

Offline KevinTwoStk

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 06:05:43 AM »
What about using some footpeg brackets from a modern bike? Today's aluminum-framed bikes have steel peg brackets that bolt to the frame. You could modify some modern steel brackets and weld those to your frame with the added benefit of being able to use modern, large footpegs.

From the photo of your countershaft sprocket, it looks like your footpeg brackets bolt to your frame, too. That might make it even easier to adapt some modern pegs and brackets to your bike: modify the modern brackets so they simply bolt on in place of the old ones.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 06:16:22 AM by KevinTwoStk »

Offline cbmoor

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 08:23:53 AM »
I have just repaired 2 1989 frames with this problem. what I did was fill in one of the holes with weld and re drill it again by passing through the other hole with the drill bit. the filling the other hole and re drill through the new hole again. once powder coated it looks good and the new foot peg fit good. Also while I was  at it filled in the area where the foot peg rest against the frame so the pegs are level as this is a wear point as well. But I also read that crf foot rest pins are 1mm thicker and you can just re drill to take the Honda pins and that works fine as well.

Offline alward25

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 11:16:12 AM »
My foot pegs are for a klr 650. My other pics on the bike after restoration show them.  Much nicer.
"Let there be light"

Offline queen of spodes

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014, 02:27:58 PM »
From the photo of your countershaft sprocket, it looks like your footpeg brackets bolt to your frame, too. That might make it even easier to adapt some modern pegs and brackets to your bike: modify the modern brackets so they simply bolt on in place of the old ones.

Only the left side has a bolt-on bracket.  The right side peg mount is welded to the frame.