Author Topic: Kinda jetting but more carb problem  (Read 5275 times)

Offline Crow87

Kinda jetting but more carb problem
« on: December 27, 2013, 12:31:39 PM »
Hi got 'issue' with carb, running at sea level, 45 pilot (165 main) from 48 52 60, bike will not clear until wide open, then it goes like s**t of a shovel.... Very boggy down low, choke has no effect on running of bike... It is easy to start.

Only way to get bike to run is to turn of fuel and a few seconds before it starts hunting it will run proper and choke will have an effect on carburation. If I carefully remove the carb there would be about 10mm of fuel in float bowl

HELP please
Scott

Offline wierdo

Re: Kinda jetting but more carb problem
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 04:43:18 PM »
check the float level....maybe too high..

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 05:29:45 PM »
What year bike, what carb, and what size carb? Needs more info to help diagnose :P
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Offline Crow87

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 03:50:02 AM »
92 standard pwk, float level ... Thought that my self, but the bike only runs clean when float bowl is nearly empty

Thanks for u r help .... Gonna pull pj of my 96 cr5, just to see what that does
Thanks
Scott

Offline Goat

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 07:44:32 AM »
What is your mixture screw set at. Should be between 1.5 and 2.5 turns out. Needle clip should be in the middle slot. I would also check timing and reeds. Another thought is maybe the clutch side crank seal is letting trans oil in making your fuel mixture way off. Spark plug should be golden brown. Dark brown is too rich, white is too lean.

I've never had any luck with pj carbs on kawasaki. The 87 I have came with a pj and tried for months to get it to run right. Finally gave up and put a pwk on it and the bike idled and pulled hard all the way to wot.
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Offline motopunk

• www.der-motopunk.de.tl
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 08:29:57 PM »
I've never had any luck with pj carbs on kawasaki. The 87 I have came with a pj and tried for months to get it to run right. Finally gave up and put a pwk on it and the bike idled and pulled hard all the way to wot. 

the 87 kx models had still the 40mm mikuni roundslide carb in 88 came the keihin pwk 39 to the kx250 and 500 .. pj´s were never available bigger as 38mm. pj carbs are not bad, but the pwk is more effective in performance.

at least i think you should check your crank seals and also the intake reeds, if they close right or damaged..   8-)
big 2 stroke bikes are weapons for real men, who don´t fear death or devil. ;O)
´83 kx250, ´87 kx250 (with 360 big bore), 87 kx500, ´93 kx500 sfc

---  www.der-motopunk.de.tl  ---

Offline Goat

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 02:27:59 PM »
My 87 was a frankenstein when I got it... 92 frame, 87 swinarm, 87 rear wheel, 87 engine, 88 forks, and a pos pj carb from who knows what. It was one of those backyard hack jobs that barely held together. One of the main reasons the engine is now neatly nestled in a quadracer 250 frame.

Offline motopunk

• www.der-motopunk.de.tl
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2013, 08:37:21 PM »
the perfect engine for this frame. kicks some ass...  :evil: :wink:  

my ´86-engine came with the stock mikuni, but without the slide and needle , in the ´93-frame was to less place for the mikuni, so i decided to use the pwk ..works great
big 2 stroke bikes are weapons for real men, who don´t fear death or devil. ;O)
´83 kx250, ´87 kx250 (with 360 big bore), 87 kx500, ´93 kx500 sfc

---  www.der-motopunk.de.tl  ---

Offline Crow87

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2014, 11:31:08 AM »
Took carb 58 pilot 175 main 38 pj of cr500, bike ran faultless, super smooth and pulled from tick over ... At least I know for sure I have a defective carb..... Not to figure out what exactly is wrong with it

Offline Crow87

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2014, 06:27:13 PM »
Just for anyone who cares, got another pwk, screwed the part that holds jets (2 torq screws) switched them round, bike runs proper. My guess is Oring must have been seeping vapour... Thanks for all u r help

Pj on kx makes a super easy to ride bike, just kills top end, but then I never jetted proper.. Pwk gives it a lot more power on top

Oh yeah .... Got entry for farleigh castle wooohoooo

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2014, 06:34:29 PM »
Glad you got it going.
Let us know how you do.
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2014, 12:13:38 AM »
Glad you got it going.
Let us know how you do.

+1
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ