Author Topic: New 500!  (Read 3653 times)

Offline Lsr outlaw

New 500!
« on: December 05, 2013, 10:36:34 PM »
Newb from Southern Utah 32yrs old, have ridden built banshee's since I was a little guy. I run a couple Anytime fitness gyms and like anything fast! I picked up my first dirtbike since I was 12 "81xt250" not sure if it counts as a dirtbike? At 6' 2" 225 and a 2 smoke fanatic my first real bike had to be a big bore! 96kx 500 300.00 bones! Needed a ton of help no front or rear brakes, seat was spray painted, fork seals completely toast, rear suspension linkage shot, tires were completely toast, Home Depot fasteners all around,  pipe dented bad and missing all mounts... The good 155lbs compression.
Fixed all the issues, new rubber and jetted it! Wow what a bad bike I love it. Been lurking here a while lots of helpful info! Did all the work myself now a little over 600.00 into it and can run away and hide from a couple of my buddies 10k+ 450's.

Does anyone have a better fix for the countershaft sprocket seal?
My attempts new sprocket, seals, O rings, bigger o rings and high temp RTV... I hate having a greasy bike! So far my last attempt was best lasted 2 rides replaced it all used RTV.

I have found the limits of the suspenders... Not a tough thing to do. I am thinking about a Sf frame conversion when I wear this motor out. Sounds like the way to go from what I have read here and on other sites. Easier to modify, helps with vibe's and not really any heavier?
No pics of the 500 on my phone or photobucket yet but here is my 90 horse fuel injected lone star banshee... I know it's a quad but it's a monster.

I will get pics of the 500 up today.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
Re: New 500!
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 10:47:39 PM »
Does anyone have a better fix for the countershaft sprocket seal?
My attempts new sprocket, seals, O rings, bigger o rings and high temp RTV... I hate having a greasy bike! So far my last attempt was best lasted 2 rides replaced it all used RTV.

Did you replace the metal collar too?...they get worn down over time,and won't put enough pressure on the o-ring when all is together.
I've also heard of guys using 2 o-rings with good luck, but knock on wood...I've never had to find out for myself if it really works.
You could make a collar yourself too...and make it a couple thousands bigger/wider than the one you have.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline Lsr outlaw

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 02:39:31 AM »
I forgot to in that long a rant to mention I have replaced the collar and tried two factory seals as well.... Pretty annoying leak!

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 02:50:39 AM »
if you can get enough pressure on the O-rings, you should be able to stop it.
if not, then I'd suspect you have other/bigger issues.

check this thread out....might be of some help.

http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,9600.0.html
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline Lsr outlaw

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 06:11:09 AM »
Thanks for the help! I will give her another shot with case sealer and some new parts again. It was pretty tough getting the snap ring on with two O rings... Should I shim it more?

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 06:16:19 AM »
I would try it...the key is to have that pressure on the o-ring.
like I said earlier, I've been fortunate enough to have never had a major problem with oil leaking from the counter shaft....I just replaced everything and it would stop.
if that doesn't fix it...I'd start investigating the case for a possible crack.

another thing to look for is, if the chain has worn through the case....a lot of guys have had problems with o-ring chains grinding the case...especially when running a 13T front sprocket.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 06:22:23 AM by Foxx4Beaver »

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2013, 06:31:19 AM »
another thing to consider is front sprocket brand....I know a Sunstar front is a touch thinner than a Renthal...so you can lose or gain here....I run a 14T Renthal.

Offline Lsr outlaw

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 02:37:22 PM »
Degreased and pressure washed right after I bought it. The rattle canned seat was sweet!