Author Topic: 96 kx 250 spluttering?  (Read 2681 times)

Offline Shane3004

96 kx 250 spluttering?
« on: November 17, 2013, 06:48:18 AM »
wel lads have a 96 kx250, just done a full rebuild, 2day was the first test run, was driving it half throttle for most of the day, at the end i was giving it a bit more, but i noticed dat when i hit the power band it spluttered a bit as if the revs were braking down, i messed around with the air/fuel screw, which made a bit of differences, opened bout half to 1 full turn, but was still missing a bit when hitting powerband, 1st 2nd are worst then as u get up threw gears not as bad, bike was grand before rebuild, what you,s thinks, timming, jetting, any suggesting? 
Take her handy! If shes handy take her twice!! :)

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
Re: 96 kx 250 spluttering?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 10:26:39 AM »
I'd pull the plug and take a look first to see what can be seen...
I would then check my kill switch by disconnecting it and running it.
Next, I would check the reed valve to make sure all the petals are in full contact when closed with no cracks or pieces missing.
If no problems are found there I would check the ohm specs of you stator, cdi, and coil.
Let us know what you try... And the results..
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline Shane3004

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 10:46:45 AM »
i,l try all dat 2moro, theres a new plug, plug cap and air filter and the reeds were all cleaned and they look good, no cracks or anything, the carb has a 42 slow jet, 162 main jet, and second notch on neddle, it dont have a powerjet, the engine got a full rebuild and it has a full pro cuircuit exhaust, i,l try what ya said first anyway, its just weird cause the bike was goin fine before the rebuild, it is revving grand, just when ya get up in the high revs it brakes down, its like she,s still cold :x thanks anyway, i,l let ya no

Offline Shane3004

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 09:24:36 AM »
Got the kx sorted, put in the old plug and off she went, back wheel the whole way, happy days  :-D, turns out the new plug was faulty, thanks for your input sandblaster!

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 11:31:07 AM »
No problem.
Always check the cheap and easy things first  :-D
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.