Author Topic: levers  (Read 5990 times)

Motorrad

levers
« on: November 07, 2013, 03:46:14 PM »
So.  The adjusters on my clutch lever broke.  

Considering new levers

Either Honda perch?  Or?

Even considering things like asv

Now. The best feeling levers I ever ride are as follows

Old LONG magura from husqvarnas of the mid 70's

After that

The magura levers on my KTM are a distant second

Never ridden anything with asv levers.  But

I have ridden USMC bike with asv Shorty's  I HATE short levers.  

Suggestions?   Before I mod a set of vintage maguras to fit

Offline motopunk

• www.der-motopunk.de.tl
Re: levers
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 10:01:31 PM »
big 2 stroke bikes are weapons for real men, who donīt fear death or devil. ;O)
ī83 kx250, ī87 kx250 (with 360 big bore), 87 kx500, ī93 kx500 sfc

---  www.der-motopunk.de.tl  ---

Offline yeomans

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 10:11:19 PM »
I know it's more of a personal preference than anything, But I installed the new ASV C6 clutch lever and I'm in love. Plus it's not the shorty style.
I also ran the older style pro circuit perch/ sunline lever in the past on my 250 with great results.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 10:14:35 PM by yeomans »

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 02:17:57 AM »
 :-D

The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 04:25:37 AM »
I've always preferred the feel of the plain ole OEM's....I've never come across an aftermarket pair that I liked, or kept on for very long...and I've tried a lot.
There are several aftermarkets out there that can with-stand a fall without breaking/snapping....but the stockers are the only ones I actually like.
I'll replace them once or twice a season...as the OEM's get sacked-out fairly quick.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
  • Sikorsky CH-53E the KX500 of Marine Corps aviation
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2013, 04:59:00 AM »
The ASV shorty's I have look good, and were bought as a set brand new for $50 on craigslist.......they will go bye-bye soon though since the clutch pull is pretty stiff.......Let me mention that I have the clutch arm mod, brand new OEM cable with the bend straightened out and plenty of lube....still stiffer than I like. :|
I once heard my buddy Bill ask Danny Hamel after a race....
"How can someone who looks like a high school band tuba player go so d**n fast on a bike?!"

Offline 2-Stroke Tom

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2013, 06:13:18 AM »
I've got the ASV levers non-shorty C6's. They're awesome. With the cable mod and these levers I have never felt the need to extend my clutch arm. No harder to pull than a KX250. I would recommend them because when I bought them for my bike, I realized that Team Green used a earlier model master cylinder and the brake lever wouldn't fit. I drove up to the ASV shop in Huntington Beach and they hooked me up with the correct parts to make my lever work, plus let me keep my existing parts should I upgrade to one of the CR250 master cylinders some day. They seem more quality than the Works Connection levers my bike came with.

Offline TJXK

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2013, 07:38:19 PM »
I have asv shorties on the RM125 and some standard asv's on the CRF450R (not sure which type exactly as they came with the bike).  I like them both.

Why is it you don't like the shorties?  I only use 1 or 2 fingers to pull the clutch and they work great.

Motorrad

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2013, 12:11:14 AM »
I have asv shorties on the RM125 and some standard asv's on the CRF450R (not sure which type exactly as they came with the bike).  I like them both.

Why is it you don't like the shorties?  I only use 1 or 2 fingers to pull the clutch and they work great.

I grew up on LONG levers.   so they feel wrong to me.   personal mental block thing

Offline TJXK

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2013, 08:45:09 AM »
Just imagine all that weight the shorties save!  You could be going so much faster.

Offline motopunk

• www.der-motopunk.de.tl
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2013, 08:08:48 AM »
I have asv shorties on the RM125 and some standard asv's on the CRF450R (not sure which type exactly as they came with the bike).  I like them both.

Why is it you don't like the shorties?  I only use 1 or 2 fingers to pull the clutch and they work great.

I grew up on LONG levers.   so they feel wrong to me.   personal mental block thing

long or short levers is a personal thing...
  some of the short levers on the market are fingersqeezers and not worth the money . iīve tested many over the years and it finished in the point, that the stock kx-levers are very good. a few years ago i modifyed one with the quick adjuster of the mid 90īs ktm- domino levers . long before other aftermarket ones came with the quick adjuster...i didnīt like the ergonomics of this ktm-levers, but i loved this adjuster-thing...  was realy cool to adjust the kx-clutchcable by riding the bike without a stop...  :-D

Offline TJXK

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2013, 06:09:30 PM »

long or short levers is a personal thing...

Absolutely, I was just curious regarding the specifics of his dislike for them.

Offline motopunk

• www.der-motopunk.de.tl
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2013, 08:54:47 PM »
and i have to say this little less weight , will not make you faster..   :-D

the important thing is to have the right feeling on the bike...  everybody needs his own personally setup...  :wink:

Offline KevinTwoStk

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2013, 11:15:01 AM »
How about a Magura hydraulic clutch conversion kit?

I'm a big fan of mine...and it came with a long Magura lever! Clutch feel is really good, not to mention consistent. It's MUCH easier to pull the lever.