Author Topic: KIPS valve  (Read 2590 times)

Offline kmix5

• http://i932.photobucket.com/albums/ad169/mickausti
KIPS valve
« on: October 26, 2013, 06:18:02 AM »
So I was reading that you should clean your powervalve at least once a year! I've never even touched mine. The last time I did my top end I had it resleeved! my question is, when a cylinder is resleeved is it common practice to clean the PV? do they hot tank the jug? the shop I took it to is no longer in business, so i'm not even sure who did the work! I'm Also wondering if there's a way to clean them on the bike? I'm thinking no, but hoping there's some guru on here that knows a trick!
When in doubt, gas it!

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
Re: KIPS valve
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 07:10:57 AM »
So I was reading that you should clean your powervalve at least once a year! I've never even touched mine.
It wouldn't hurt but it really depends on the type of fuel and oil you have been running, how you ride, and how well your bike is tuned.
I have one that was cleaned after 12 year of riding.
It had very little carbon on it and took very little cleaning.
Most of them I get in the shop look very bad with tons of carbon and goo.

The last time I did my top end I had it resleeved! my question is, when a cylinder is resleeved is it common practice to clean the PV?
The Exhaust valve is completely removed when the cylinder is sleeved.
A good company will clean it up and replace anything worn.

do they hot tank the jug? the shop I took it to is no longer in business, so i'm not even sure who did the work!

They should but that doesn't mean they do.

I'm Also wondering if there's a way to clean them on the bike? I'm thinking no, but hoping there's some guru on here that knows a trick!

I don't know of any way to clean them effectively on the bike.
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline kmix5

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 07:23:27 AM »
I guess I'll pull the exhaust off and take a look, make sure it's moving freely. Started running rough on the bottom, cleans out and runs strong on the top! I'm pretty sure it's a float issue, but gonna check everything out! I've never checked the reeds either, so I guess I'd better look at that too!
When in doubt, gas it!

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 09:15:41 AM »
Good idea.
Reeds are a common problem and we seem to be having a rash of bad reeds on this site as well as others.
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline kmix5

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2013, 10:00:12 AM »
well, pulled it all apart, KIPS valves looked outstanding! Reeds looked to be in good shape, although I could see a tiny amount of light were they should seal. Tried turning them over, made it worse! Not sure if that's enough to make it run the way it is! Time for a V-Force I guess! leaves me with the carb! I know the jetting is correct, cause it's what I've been running for years! float level is what I'm thinking! Another thing I noticed is, if memory serves me, isn't there supposed to be a copper gasket for the exhaust?
When in doubt, gas it!

Motorrad

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2013, 10:22:27 AM »
don't just go changing the float level of its been right for years the needle and seat go bad after time to replace those before you change fluid levels and then check it

Offline kmix5

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2013, 06:19:23 AM »
I did change the float level! it was pouring gas out the overflow when I'd barely lean the bike over! I got a new needle, just a matter of getting the float right!
When in doubt, gas it!