Author Topic: 93 KX 250 - CT  (Read 2379 times)

Offline ct.wrekt-1

93 KX 250 - CT
« on: February 03, 2010, 02:32:25 PM »
Got my bike a handful of years ago and used a guest account to access TONS of helpful info here.  As well as a few other forums.   So my current setup is a 93 KX 250.  The SOB i bought it from said it was a 94 (which is what I was lookin for). I admit being over excited and the bike really was in pretty awesome shape.  SOooooo.  Now: FMF pipe and silencer, Boysen Power Reeds, Weisco prolite, Barnett Baskett with tusk steel plates and kevlar frictions, Stealthy 10oz flywheel weight (OMG IS AWESOME!!!) and minor other maint like chain and sprockets (stock) and tires. I went with 110's because I ride a lot of rocky trails and it fits my style smoother.  Have a uni 2 stage foam filter (switching to notoil soon), jetted, and finally...tuned in (dialed in).   Some other trail made modifications are bent handlebars (took a digger when front wheel locked on a log) and some dings and scratches (war wounds!). 

I love the bike, young lil punks around my area totally under-estimate the 250 ring-a-ding ding....BRrrraaaaaaap!

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
Re: 93 KX 250 - CT
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 06:21:12 PM »
  Welcome CT,
 Sounds like your bike has just about all you need for singletrack.
   I've had the same problem with my bars hitting things and bending, saving up and getting a good pair is well worth the $'s.   And some good handguards too.    Throw some pics in when you get a chance.   
     Tuck\o/
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline ct.wrekt-1

I'm Making a HUGE COMEBACK!!!
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 09:11:16 AM »
Hey everyone. So I signed up 'YEEEEEARS' ago and made a post. But this time i'll be sticking around a while!

I'm from CT, got my first KX (93-250) in 2005ish.  Was a project for someone, so when I got it, was near mint. Still, 'kinda' is. That was my baby... pride and joy!! Until April 2013 when my son was born!!!!  :-D  

I got my wife a KSF250 (Kawsaaki Mojave) a couple years later. Was a hack job. Some kid owned and tried racing it. Cut fenders, tweaked carb, etc etc. Then a cool adult picked it up and started getting the original parts for it, but could never get it to run right. I finally got it and put in some serious time trouble shooting and figuring issues out until it was JUUUUSst right. :) My wife even managed to race it in a Hare-Scramble!!! (Yah, she's that awesome! Riding, camping and a SON!!! What a gal!)

So jump a whole buncha years. I picked up another KSF250 for myself, project machine! motor was shot along with more stuff.
(by the way, I had a KSF250 as a teen and have a forever passion for it since!!!! Hence I stick with it. Keep reading to find out why!)

Another buncha years, bought a house, got job, changed positions at job, had baby, brings us to a few months ago. Scouring internets for anything for my 'project'....

Few days ago I picked up my 1987 (such a lonely year!) KX500!!!! This thing is a friggin monstrous beast. lol Even with a blown bottom gasket and all sortsa minor motor issues, HOLY HELL IT'S GOT HAIRY TESTES!!!

Now, as soon as I get a chance I'll be posting some videos and photos. (As soon as I unlocked my posting limitations! :)

Here's the rundown/summary/synopsis:
Me-dude, in CT, married, Chemist/Engineer/Mechanic/IT guy, my first kid (BABY BOY!) this year!
Wife-awesome-ness!, rides!, amazing woman to deal with me and projects
LiL.Dude-on daddy's knee and holding on to fingers like handlebars! Gotta teach em young!!! lol

The rides:
Wife: 94 KSF250 Mjoave - SuperTrapp exhaust, minor cosmetics
Plan:Led lighting, Carb tuning, (sprockets), motor rebuild. I have a few motors so that i can sort through and build the best.

ME:
KX250-93: Boysen power reeds, FMF pipe & silencer, weisco piston, stealthy flywheel weight, upgraded clutch discs, springs, and basket (I forget the name now), It's a monster, with traction!
Plan: LED lighting, tuning, cosmetics (possibly a straight fender mod, gripper seat), fat bars,

KX500-87: OMG what did I do. lol. ProCircuit Pipe, everything else is UNKNOWN. I have not cracked a single bolt loose!
Plan: Heart transplant. The beast will be getting torn down, parted out, and made to relive!

KSF250: unknown year-DOA-locked motor, cracked case, etc etc. CHEAP. I needed a base to start with. This is going to be the project!!! (Serious, serious...been waiting to do this for years!)
PLAN!: This frame will be getting the transplanted heart from the donor patient (KX500). I know all about the vibration, the mounts, etc etc. This is going to be a classy, sexy, brand name (Kawasaki) build!!!! It's a K motor going into a K frame, with a K body. SLEEEEEEEPer. lol I've always thought the 500 to have a very secretive exhaust note..>UNTIL IT GOES OPEN!  :evil: It will also get an LED light kit, and plethora of upgrades. It's already piped, so it will get tuned from there. This is my first big bore, so i have to learn what's 'best bang for the buck'. Examples-VF2, RAD, etc., My building style is to give it life, make it a monster, then make it track!

I have the plastics, etc...

Having so much more traction footprint, smaller wheel diameter, more weight, etc etc, I will have to fine tune things like flywheel weight and sprockets once she's ride-able.

Much more info in the appropriate forums once the building starts. I am one of those guys that loves seeing a pics/progress/ follow along and so will also be taking TONS of pictures of all the work. It's going to be a rebuild (wife's) and Frankenstein (KXSF500) at the same time in my shop (another name for my car spot in the garage, right next to the wife's which is OFF LIMITS for the winter. lol  :roll:

hope to hear some POSITIVE comments and ideas from everyone!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 09:34:18 AM by ct.wrekt-1 »