Author Topic: klx450/kx500  (Read 86980 times)

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
Re: klx450/kx500
« Reply #165 on: December 23, 2013, 03:06:36 AM »
Thanks for posting the DYNO.
It is similar to others I have seen.
On jetting, here is what Pro Circuit recommends
Main 168,  Pilot 55, Needle N82M, Position 2ND, Air Screw 1 3/4
I played around with my jetting for years until Motorrad told me what I should use and guess what?
Pro Circuit agrees  :lol:
This is for sea level.
In 14 years of riding it, my sand bike has never ran so good.
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline Twosmokerfan

« Reply #166 on: December 23, 2013, 07:31:17 AM »
I am with you on the dyno charts as a tuning tool.  The dyno charts helped me identify more power and better use.  Outright power doesn't really interest me either.  The technician did say that instead of "marching" away from 450's, it will now thrash them no questions asked.

I didn't know what the problem was until I did this and would never have known and kept riding the way it was.  I am happy to use it as a quantitative tool to test small changes, and it has proven it's worth.  I am going to cut the crap out of the airbox today and basically replicate the hole size (an maybe more if I can) that is on the left, and make it on the right.  After stuffing around with the jetting for a few months, I was getting sick of it and needed to sort it out, so viola.

Fuel injection would be nice, but I really like the electric start....... :-D  When can we modify mine....?. :evil:
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 07:33:30 AM by Twosmokerfan »

Offline Gb1073

« Reply #167 on: January 29, 2014, 08:45:38 AM »
ylwgtr, how is your e-start development progressing for the 500? I am sure there is a lot of us that want to see your project completed. :-D

Offline ylwgtr

« Reply #168 on: January 29, 2014, 07:26:23 PM »
hi yeah its completed!If you check a few posts back its running and starting off the button......I havent done anything further with it at the moment....Now ive fixed the electrics i need to tend to this whoafull engine  kawasaki call a 500cc twostroke!Bruce will be doing the cylinder and head in the next few months so until then not much will happen unfortunatly.........if you cant tell,im STILL not sold on this engine :) but the electric start is cool

Offline Twosmokerfan

« Reply #169 on: July 14, 2014, 10:38:33 PM »
Seeing we are still on the KLX500, I think I have found the sweet jetting numbers.  As asked earlier here are my almost final numbers, but my jetting is still rich in the mid range, but very good down low.

Pilot 48
Needle N82P on the second from top clip
Slide #7
Main 165

Hey ylwgtr, any further work on your KLX500?

TSF

Offline wierdo

« Reply #170 on: July 19, 2015, 02:35:58 PM »
time for a bump start. Sorry i meant to say electric start. Come on Ylwgtr time to come in from the sticks and fill us in on this bike..when are you gonna do a few of those electric start adapters, look after us aussies first mate :-D