Author Topic: EMF auto clutch  (Read 2040 times)

Offline Gman

EMF auto clutch
« on: October 11, 2013, 05:36:17 AM »
I've currently got a Magura hydro setup on my bike, problem is now I'm starting to have issues with my hands. I ride at least once a week and sometimes as often as 3-4 times a week in the summer. I've been a mechanic for 23 years and my hands are really starting to bother me. I bought a KTM 300exc with a rekluse in it and love riding it after I got used to it. My problem is I'm 6'4" 230lbs and the KTM feels really weak compared to my 500. I've looked around for auto clutchs with no luck. I called EMF and the guy says he'll build one but I need more clearance to run it. I saw the thread on the two piece clutch covers, but with my family and work schedules I don't have time to devote to fabricating what is needed. Is anyone offering a two piece clutch cover kit of sorts , I can cut the old cover off and tig a new adapter ring on if anyone offered anything. Do I have any options or am I stuck riding the KTM? My time is more of an issue than money.
 I fully restored my 01' 500 (everything, nut and bolt, powder coat etc.) this spring, I hate to roll it in the man cave as a thing I used to ride.

Offline The Flyin Hawaiian

Re: EMF auto clutch
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 02:59:46 PM »
Sounds like you may have carpal tunnel syndrome. I have been a mechanic for a little longer than you and had the same issues. My hands were killing me! I couldnt sleep and work was tough! My clutch hand would go numb instantly while riding and the throttle hand would follow soon after. I finally had cts surgery on both hands last oct and nov. I was riding a week and a half after the second surgery. Very carefully though. I havent had any problems since.
 I use a clutch lever with a second hole drilled in it that changes the ratio. It also has a bearing in the pivot. This is on my 04 KX250/500 hybrid. I straightened the steel tube on the clutch cable and ran it in front of the radiator. The pull is very smooth and a little stiffer than a 250. I also switched to a set of Flexx bars with great results! As far as a auto clutch goes, I have heard that the DRZ400 shares the same clutch plates as the KX500 so maybe a aut clutch from one of those could be modified to work.
A couple of 03 and 04 KXs, a few YZs, 3 PE 400s, a DR and a TS.