Author Topic: Longmont Co, Flooding  (Read 22489 times)

Offline motopunk

• www.der-motopunk.de.tl
Re: Longmont Co, Flooding
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2013, 04:22:30 PM »
well the kips couldnt really be the case now could it, cause they operate by hand...

hmmm... that sounds like the rh and lh valves are little bit misplaced ... they have to be full closed and then at full throttle up to full open ... take a look at the gears at the rh and lh valves and the pulling rod and if its worn out, helps only replacing...
big 2 stroke bikes are weapons for real men, who don´t fear death or devil. ;O)
´83 kx250, ´87 kx250 (with 360 big bore), 87 kx500, ´93 kx500 sfc

---  www.der-motopunk.de.tl  ---

Offline J.ellwanger

« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2013, 04:52:39 PM »
which is where im thrown off...
   cause it seems like i have a restriction somewhere else... 
tried to ride it today, switched mufflers to see if maybe the wet spark arrestor was holding it back, but the stock one did not change anything, once it gets on the pipe, it falls on its face... so i repacked the the S.A.
  cause in the garage it will roar and rev up, but under load... not so much.

:mrgreen:  so what would change the kips from where they go working under no load, to not working under load? :|

since May, my bike ran fine, and i havent pulled the engine apart at all yet, cause after i got it jetted, took it to the local shop, and they said it was in fantastic shape, so ive left it alone, ive been 75mph on the thing so far, (gps phone app) and still had more to go on, just no room.   before i decided to drown the beast this month

im trying to figure out the kips,  would the kips be slack with the engine off hence the exposed outer most exhaust ports?(over rotated closed position) then when idling, would the kips fully closed at idle due to rotation, and the gearing or what controls it? thought it might be difficult to see them working while bike is running and exhaust off, :lol: little loud as well, then everything coming out... to see if the closed fully while idling
 but really how would i know... just watch the control lever on the outside to see if it moves out the 1/16 of an inch to close the ports? cause by pulling about 1/16 out by hand, they are fully closed, while impossible to see, could that be one thing? just thoughts running through my head, had to throw out there

Respect For Hard Work, Hard work that got Me what I have, What I have Shows my Hard Work, Good Circle that keeps Me Employed.

Offline motopunk

• www.der-motopunk.de.tl
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2013, 05:18:54 PM »
sounds at least that the kips is overrotating...i think you can find here the solution for your kips- problem    :-)

http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,1367.0.html

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2013, 04:34:05 AM »
Just a thought, do you have an ohm meter?
If so, I would test all your electrical components...
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline J.ellwanger

« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2013, 07:06:22 AM »
I do not have a ohm meter somewhere, I'm trying to find one now. (my friends sleep till the crack of noon)
 but as far as the kips fine tuning... that seems to be giving a better bottom end...  but my bottom end is fine, idling, and going,  but hit the pipe and falls down.
  which ill fine tune once i get it to run all the way through the RPM's unload again.
checked compression, @ 145 lbs.
  im boggled at what could be might problem... but when i did the Comp. test, i looked at my spark plug and its clean...
 like no browning or anything...

while my jetting hasnt changed at all, im running the jetting chart for ....
  HOLY CRAP, maybe since the air is cooling off, im running really lean ???
since i was running for 5000-6000 @79-100 degree......   oh F*** where is the smiley bashing his head on the desk???  stupid stupid stupid...
i digress.. lol im gonna pull the jets and swap them for the cooler air jets.

so is that Stewart guy still around, i see his name, but it says guest under it. would like to get that screw for the kips fix for later on! 
   but, im still confused, could it be fuel starvation that causes it to fall on its face? but when i say falls on its face, i mean it Almost Rides YOU type of falls on its face. it acts like it wants to, pulls real hard for a blip, then just throws you forward like you were trying to go for 8 secs on a 1200lb. bull,

Respect For Hard Work, Hard work that got Me what I have, What I have Shows my Hard Work, Good Circle that keeps Me Employed.

Offline J.ellwanger

« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2013, 12:26:38 PM »
changed jets, and spark plug, then it wouldnt fire at all, so i put the original(in the pic) back in and it fired, but still same, issues,
 what else could cause it to fall on its face?

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2013, 12:50:46 PM »
Hey J.ellwanger.
I didn't see anywhere that you posted your bike year.
Guessing from the upside down pic that it is somewhere around 91-93...
Also, you didn't post your jetting, either the starting sizes vs the size you tried.
What is your riding altitude?
Have you pulled your reedvalve and carefully inspected it for cracks or gaps?
What plug are you running?
Do you have a service manual for the bike?
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline J.ellwanger

« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2013, 04:01:35 PM »
hmmm yeah my bad, i got the jetting and tuning down, so figured it didnt, matter, just was curious if gas starvation would drop down on it
its a 91, I started off with a 155 main, and 52 pilot, 6500-9000
the jetting is 168 Main, and 58 pilot,
 i know thats for cold weather, but i ride the mountains mostly between 6500-9000 and its already been down to the 40's in the city,
I am running a NGK B8EG S.P.
and i have not pulled anything off the engine besides carb, and exhaust, kips lever cover,  and i do have a manual, but im having a hard time figuring out... through reading, checked all the basics that it lists, but i have a ghost robbing my pipe.
 checked the electrical, cleaned all the connections, and still falling on its face, could a leak around the gaskets cause it to fall over? cause it almost threw my dad ( 200lbs,)  over the bars, so it wants to launch, but just wont get on the pipe.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2013, 04:20:40 PM »
Did you check the float bowl level?
The wrong setting will give you fits...
Also, looking at the electrical and cleaning it won't tell you if it's good.
Get your buddies ohm meter and use the specs in your manual to check it.
It takes minutes to do and can eliminate a lot of guessing and head scratching.
If you get your float set correctly, and verify the electrical readings, then I would check your reeds.
If they are good I would look for air leaks.
A leak down tester (Not a compression tester) will tell you a lot..
I haven't looked into your jetting or plug but I'm sure someone on here knows..

Offline J.ellwanger

« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2013, 04:34:09 PM »
im getting parts to be able to check the float level, couldnt tell you if that has changed  at all,
 and i did test the elec.  i had my dad use the meter as im not that competent with the thing yet, but he said its with in the manual specs,
 i will get that float set as soon as i can,i will pull the reeds tomorrow to see how they look, and as far as leak down test, i assume im gonna need a tool from kawi? ill read my manual to find out.
 and i based my jetting off the chart, for 79-100 degrees, and 5000-6000' and its crisp and clean and responsive, or was at least,
but now same elev. but at the 40 degree range due to winter coming on, but still responsive parked in neutral.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2013, 04:44:57 PM »
When you check your reeds make sure that the pedals are laying flat on the reed block.
If there is any gaps disassemble it and ultra clean it.
If after assembling it and there is still gaps, get a new one.
Make sure there are no cracks or chipped edges.
Check here on making a leak down tester.
http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,11928.0.html

Offline motopunk

• www.der-motopunk.de.tl
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2013, 09:12:43 PM »
good idea to check the reeds. just dont thought of it  :wink:...with damaged reeds it sounds like it soak to much gas...

how was your bike running, before you dropped it into in the flood-water??  have you also cleaned the airfilter??

« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 09:21:02 PM by motopunk »

Offline J.ellwanger

« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2013, 02:43:16 AM »
my bike was running like it was new off the show room floor,
 started on first kick every time!
 put it in gear, and then soon be wondering where the road went, as your pointed towards the sky.

so damaged reeds, it would soak up gas? like pull to much through the cage?
 and i have completely cleaned the air filter, and oiled it again.

I'm gonna pull the reed cage to day,

Offline J.ellwanger

« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2013, 04:03:05 AM »

i dont see how the reed could be my issue?  :roll:

um soo..... do i need to pull motor and search for the broken reed? or would that have shattered and blown out?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 04:11:11 AM by J.ellwanger »

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2013, 04:59:30 AM »
I'm sure it's long gone by now  :-D
At least you have a good idea of the problem now and it's a easy, relatively cheap fix..