Author Topic: Swing arm pivot bolt  (Read 4537 times)

Offline Toom038

Swing arm pivot bolt
« on: September 10, 2013, 09:53:20 AM »
Can someone tell me the length of the swing arm pivot bolt? I am starting a kx/ktm project soon. Need to know if the bolt is the correct lenght for a ktm frame. Thanks.

Offline jBernard

Re: Swing arm pivot bolt
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 10:17:31 AM »
what models are you trying to mix?

youll need the bolt to be a slip fit for the engine cases. this is a crucial mount area, needs to be correct.

.666 is the OD of the shank on my 09 kx250f

9.430 is the length from the tip to the INSIDE of the mating area of the head (not overall length including head, just shank length)

'09 KX500AF - never ending project
'14 KTM 300SX

Offline Toom038

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 01:50:02 PM »
Gonna put a kx 500 motor in a '07 KTM 450sxf frame. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the 500 kx bolt is 14mm diameter. The KTM is 16 mm. I'm trying to figure out if I want to center bore the cases to use the KTM pivot bolt or make collars for smaller kx pivot bolt. Any suggestions?

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 01:52:38 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the 500 kx bolt is 14mm diameter.

Correcting  :-D

The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline jBernard

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 02:00:53 PM »
use your ktm swingarm pivot and bore the cases like we do on the AFC's, then it will at match up.
drilling the cases, once you align properly and securely, takes a minute or two. machining shims or adapters for the kx5 pivot is more work and not as good.
'14 KTM 300SX

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 02:05:17 PM »
+1
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline Toom038

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 02:21:19 PM »
So, a decent machine shop should be able to bore the cases? Can you give a wild a** guess on a price?  Thanks Blaster for the dimensions. Once I get started on this I will try to post some pics. Now, how to fit an exhaust......

Offline jBernard

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 03:22:32 AM »
drain oil and take your clutch side case housing off, this will give you your best chance for alignment due to it being machined flat over a large area.
the machine shop will use parallels so its supported on the machined face of the cases. then, they'll just clamp it down and punch thru the new size for the pivot.

i did mine on a Bridgeport, which was WAY better because you can dial in the hole so its perfectly centered. you just barely touch the drill bit to the existing hole and see the shavings, when it peels off the same amount all the way around you are close enough. you could also use a hole indicator but its slightly overkill, your choice.
'14 KTM 300SX

Offline Toom038

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 09:06:20 AM »
How tight of tolerance do you recommend?

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2013, 09:35:31 AM »
What is the actual size of the swing arm pin that you are going to use? 15.91? Guess...
Are the frame holes 16.05mm?

Offline Toom038

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2013, 10:21:05 AM »
Not sure yet. I haven't taken anything apart yet. The motor is supposed to be here tomorrow. Once I get it ready to install I will pull the KTM  apart. It's all I have to ride now and if I don't ride for a couple of weeks I tend to get a bit cranky.