Author Topic: Great tip for cleaning your bike and keeping it lookiing new  (Read 3171 times)

Offline azdirtrider75

Great tip for cleaning your bike and keeping it lookiing new
« on: January 08, 2009, 11:58:04 AM »
About a year ago a fellow KX rider friend of mine suggested I use WD-40 to clean my bike. My first reaction was "no way, why would I put oil all over my bike" Well a few rides later I was cleaning my bike (jetting was rich) and was trying to get the black goo from my exhaust, plastic, and swing arm. I was also in need of a good chain cleaning. I remembered my friends tip to use WD-40, but because I didn't have any, I used a similar penetrating oil spray that I had. It worked great! After every ride I rinse the bike, spray it with soapy water, rinse, dry, then get what's left with the penetrating oil (WD-40 or similar liquid wrench stuff will work). Not only does this pull of dirt but all of the unwanted oil and grease. Tip: don't spray direct on the bike, spray on paper towels. You don't want this on your breaks or getting into your bearings. After I get the dirtiest parts clean, I wet a clean paper towel and wipe down nearly the entire bike; plastic, engine, pipe, swing arm, forks, etc (not the seat). I use this on the chain too. It pushes the water out from the recent wash and preps it for your chain lube. I can't believe how great my bike looks. This would be a great tool for prepping the bike for sale. Once I used a silicon spray but it lasted too long on the bike and a little dust stuck to it on the ride after.Keep in mind that gaskets and seals can dry out (I live in AZ) I figure this is also helping the various engine gaskets, etc to stay good (not dry, crack, and fail). I've been doing this now for nearly a year and I'm sold.

Give this a try and let me know what you think. Also share what you do to keep your green machine clean.  :-D

Nate in AZ (azdirtrider75) Chandler AZ 2002 KX250
Live in the Phoenix Metro? (East Valley) Contact me, let's ride
azdirtrider75
nateopie@hotmail.com

Offline GeriatricNoob

Re: Great tip for cleaning your bike and keeping it lookiing new
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 02:32:56 PM »
I've been using the WD-40 as a final coat for a while, but I usually spray directly onto the bike.  I use non-chlorinated brake parts cleaner to get the tough gunk off during the wash, and also to clean the brakes after the WD-40 coating.  My bikes have never looked better! 

Offline KevinTwoStk

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 08:06:10 PM »
Maxima Clean Up is awesome!

It's good as a chain cleaner (I use it with a Grunge Brush) but it also works well as a general degreaser. Spray it on, wait a minute or two, and hose it off. Heavy grease requires some brushing or scrubbing, but Clean Up gets rid of grease like nothing else I've ever seen.

I have also read that Shout laundry spray works well as a degreaser. It's inexpensive and does not attack plastics. I have yet to try it.

If Shout works well, I think I'll use Shout for general stuff and save Clean Up for the chain, sprockets, and engine. I would keep using Clean Up for everything, but the stuff is pricey enough that I'm looking for ways to stretch it a little further.

Offline ben

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 01:09:09 AM »
I always refer to coating a bike with WD-40 when you are trying to sell it as giving it the old WD-40 pimp shine.  :-D

Offline Ims Roll

• Ride safe, Ride hard
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 04:04:09 AM »
a buddy of mine few years back used to work at a car dealer cleaning cars, he used to use a mixture of water and armorall and it has the same effect, and makes the bike extremely shiny
The 2-smoke runs deep in this one...

Offline Ims Roll

• Ride safe, Ride hard
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 01:30:42 AM »
Maxima Clean Up is awesome!

It's good as a chain cleaner (I use it with a Grunge Brush) but it also works well as a general degreaser. Spray it on, wait a minute or two, and hose it off. Heavy grease requires some brushing or scrubbing, but Clean Up gets rid of grease like nothing else I've ever seen.

I have also read that Shout laundry spray works well as a degreaser. It's inexpensive and does not attack plastics. I have yet to try it.

If Shout works well, I think I'll use Shout for general stuff and save Clean Up for the chain, sprockets, and engine. I would keep using Clean Up for everything, but the stuff is pricey enough that I'm looking for ways to stretch it a little further.

Clean up is also safe on air filters, a while back it actually said air filter cleaner on it as well. it's like putting your filter in gas, but it wont eat your filter. super fast filter cleaning with it
The 2-smoke runs deep in this one...

Offline KevinTwoStk

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 08:16:14 PM »
That's good to know...versatile stuff!