Author Topic: Just got a 01 KX100 need help please!  (Read 2851 times)

Offline WED

Just got a 01 KX100 need help please!
« on: May 28, 2013, 05:25:04 PM »
Got a bike today that I plan on giving to my son when he outgrows his XR80. I rode it today to see what it needed and it felt like it was governed down. Is that possible? It would pull until it felt like the powerband kicked in then it would just stop. I am a bit of a heavy fella at 200lbs but it still didn't feel right. I've rode a YZ80 that pulled harder and picked up the front wheel thru 3rd so I'm wondering what's going on here. Also, what type of coolant should I use and what do you guys suggest for my mix ratio? I really want this thing to scream so whatever I need to do just let me know! Thanks in advance!

Offline grippy61

Re: Just got a 01 KX100 need help please!
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 08:58:21 AM »
My son has a 01 KX85 and mix the fuel/oil 32:1. You might want to read what the carb settings should be.  When we picked his up its was to rich and had to adjust the air bleed screw and main jet needle.  Don't quote me but  I think stock settings are 2.5 turns out on air bleed and the third groove on the main jet.  I'm 250 and that little 85 will pull the front up in most gears.

Offline WED

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 02:21:06 PM »
I can't believe someone finally responded on here lol!! Here's what happened, I noticed the KIPS valve shaft wasn't aligned properly so I decided to just take the entire motor apart and replace rings and everything else. Low and behold the dang entire bottom half of the piston was gone!!! Cleaned all the debris out of the bottom end and replaced all seals and gaskets and a new piston of course. Now this thing absolutely screams!! I found my son a KX80 and I'm riding the 100 for now. Thanks for responding!!

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 02:25:05 PM »
Sorry Wed, I missed your post or I would have responded.
Glad you got it going.
I'm 220lb and my son's kx100 is remarkably fast even with my loaf on it  :-)
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.